Chapter 14

The saddest thing in the world is when two people, who at one time

knew everything about one another, now act like strangers.

Amidst the chaos, the motorbike rider swerved the bike around towards the open barricade and disappeared, before anyone could react.

SP Kamal looked at Ajay in panic. There was so much confusion. Who the hell was that? Who wanted to shoot Pratap in such cold blood?

Ajay didn't really care what happened to Pratap, but there was no way he would tolerate anyone taking law into their own hands under his very nose.

Ajay used his walkie talkie to call his team together. He instructed SI Sarang and the team of constables to start chasing the bike on their Jeep. On the stage, Minister Vikram Chaudhary and his associates were gathered around Pratap. Ajay couldn't see what's going on. Ajay shouted back at Kamal "We are going to follow the bike. I will keep you informed". Kamal acknowledged raising his thumb.

He signalled constable Ramesh to accompany him, and together they rode a police bike and went off in the direction towards the city to catch the motorbike shooter

They could see the police jeep some distance ahead of them chasing the motorbike which was racing ahead.

Ajay revved his motorbike to the max speed and overtook the police jeep in short time. There was a sharp turn in the road and once he reached he slowed down. The motorbike was nowhere to be seen, and there was a fork in the road. One of them was a parallel road to the main highway leading back to the city, and the other one was going towards a nearby town. The police jeep behind them also stopped.

Ajay signalled Sarang to follow the road towards town while he and Ramesh took the road parallel to the highway. Road was quite deserted for most of the way except for some old shops and warehouses in ruins scattered here and there. They kept going, but still could not find the motorbike. But after some distance, they found a big mechanic shop /garage and a warehouse adjacent to a single story house. Many old motorbikes and few cars were parked near the shop.

Ajay and Ramesh got off their bike near the shop. As he went inside, Ajay noticed a brand new board VIJAY CAR BIKE REPAIRS hanging in the front. Inside was a big high roof garage. Except for couple of cars ramped up on stands, it seemed to be deserted.

Just then, a man happily whistling to himself entered the garage, and stopped on finding them at the entrance. He was in greasy and stained mechanic overalls.

As Ajay was about to speak, he cut him off and started shouting at some one behind him.

"Can't you see we have customers here? Did you even bother asking them what they need?"

Ajay still couldn't understand who this guy was talking to.

Turning to Ajay now, he asks courteously "Sir do you need any spare parts or you need get your bike repaired?" He didn't seem to notice constable Ramesh at all.