Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen:

The whole room seemed to have held their breaths. No sound was echoed through the room. The woman stared at me with such shock evident in her face, her eyes. My breathing became rigid, I shuddered as I breathed. Even the army men had stopped and watched. The boy between them frozen in shock.

The guy with the man bun who had actively accused the guy of disrupting the rules stared at me with shock and outrage himself as I stood for the guy who was being pulled away, because of a game, a ploy of his.

The woman continued staring at me and with that look on her face I couldn't tell what exactly she was feeling. It was either a mixture of shock and outrage, or shock and a sort of surprise, surprise of admiration, admiration that I hadn't stood down.

"Who do you think you are to talk back or speak up?" Her face curled into a look of pleasure. She was now playing. She was toeing the line that I stood over. She was testing me to see if I'd go on or back down.

I felt lost for words. The whole room still barely breathing at the exchange happening in front of them. The woman's face had a sly grin on it as she watched me contemplate what to say. The look on her face shown that she could see my mental wheels churning around, thinking of all possibilities that could came from what I'd say. The outcomes.

Drawing my eyes to hers, I went to open my mouth and reply the words which could most certainly doom me, and Carter. If it was just me, I'd say something, I'd do it. But Carter as well? I don't think I could risk it, I couldn't bring him down with me.

Yet I couldn't help myself. I couldn't help but continue to open my mouth to say the words ringing in my head like the sound of your alarm clock still haunting you in the morning.

Just as I was going to say the words that would doom me. Doom Carter. Someone spoke before me, spoke their mind. In helping the guys fate, in between the army men, his partner, and without realising it, probably saving mine along with Carter's.

"You can check one of the many cameras in the room. No doubt it'd have your answer." Everyone in their state in shock, if possible, seemed even more shocked.

One of the girls in the front row stared wide eyed, her mouth agape. Her face was twisted in confusion and shock, the one emotion everyone was feeling currently, and just before the test. At hearing the new voice speak up for the guy, her agape mouth opened evermore and her face morphed into even more shock.

Turning to m left where the voice had come from, I saw that it was the guy with jet black hair tucked behind his ear, slightly tanned skin, and the pale green eyes, his persona portraying coldness.

He leaned back in his chair as if this was your everyday debate in English class, or maybe that one student in maths class who seemed to debate the answer to some equation with the teacher. Being a stubborn ass.

The woman then turned to face him and she was now not shocked, but seemed flustered, embarrassed.

I wondered why she would be embarrassed. Could it be because the she has been shown up by two students, talking back to what she had said, despite the threat of the government holding our lives in their very hands. Or it may be because she didn't think of using the cameras to prove this theory.

But as I thought about that, I stared at her, observed her. She looked as if she was in deep thought, that she was thinking on what to say as to what had been said. She probably looked like I did when thinking of what to reply when she was inquiring me.

That's when realisation dawned on me yet again for the past few days.

This was another plot of the games. Boy innocent or not, he's going. It's a way to show everyone how the government controls everything . . . yet again. They are trying to psych us out, make us ridden with fear at how easily everything can change.