Chapter Five

Chapter Five:

I stood staring at the bus in front of me. It was huge reaching about four or five metres high. The large doors of the bus were closed and they slowly opened as Carter and I stood before it. I stared inside the bus and saw the bus driver sitting at his seat and stared at us with a toothy grin.

"Ah heya chub's," he said smiling, "you wanna pop your bags in the trump?"

He spoke while still smiling at us which I wasn't sure was even possible but he clearly showed that it could happen.

Before I could respond I saw Carter next to me shake his head politely. "No we are alright thanks," he said kindly to him but an edge of defiance was heard in his tone which made the bus driver gulp slightly.

"Alrigh', why don't ya pop on in and we can get this show on the road."

I nodded in response and took a step up onto the bus hesitantly before stepping up the rest of the steps confidently since I could hear there were others here.

As I reached the top of the ever so high and mighty stairs I looked down the aisles to find them half full. There were already so many kids in here. Realising that Carter was behind me and waiting for my move I started walking down the aisle.

As I walked, I passed two girls sitting next to each other, one painting her nails and the other reading a magazine. Across from them sat a guy who seemed to be a goth having spiky black hair, a nose ring and wore all black clothes, he sat next to some girl with multi-coloured hair and didn't really care about the guy.

Further behind them where everyone had sat themselves in completely random seats were more pairs. Walking by I warily watched where I was going and made a clear observantion of them. If I were to go against them at one stage, why not scout them out as well.

Moving back I felt Carter nudge the small of my back with his hands and I turned to him to see him gesturing his head to a pair of seats which were behind a girl and a boy who seemed like they were twins.

I sat down on the seat closest to the aisle before pushing my way to the window seat. Carter sat beside me and none of us bothered with the seat belts. Pulling my knees up to my chest, I wrapped my arms around them and turned to lean my head on my knees and gazed out my window only to regret doing it.

Out the window all cameras were pointed our way and the whole town was staring at us and started shouting something. I couldn't really hear what they were saying since all the windows were all shut so the air conditioning could keep the bus cool.

I then took my head off my knees and turned to look the other way at Carter. He had his head leaned back and let out a loud breath staring at the air conditioning compartment. After staring at it for a few seconds he decided to lift his hand and started to adjust the settings on it and when he was satisfied he brought his hand back down, but not without brushing it through his hair.

Suddenly I came to the realisation that whenever Carter would brush his hand through his hair he was either nervous, baffled, or angry. It seemed to be an unconscious habit he has picked up.

Now when I think about it within the last week every bad moment we had I can recall that he had brushed his fingers through his hair at least once with each event.

I unconscious continued to stare at him as I was deep into my thoughts when suddenly that smirk of his appeared on his lips and he turned his head from looking straight towards me, the smirk clearly on his face because of me.

He leaned towards me and stopped just inches from my face making me feel slightly uncomfortable. "Am I really that good looking?"

I simply rolled my eyes and drifted my gaze to the people sitting across from us. He noticed this and pulled away and leaned against his seat again but still had his signature smirk dancing across his face slightly.