Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven:

The first thought that ran through my head when we arrive at the dining hall was that it was enormous.

After entering the main building we followed the cluster of kids walking in one certain direction. The groups of kids were no bigger than three or four. It seemed that friends were already being made, or could it be alliances being formed?

After about a minute or two of walking we arrived at the front doors of the dining room which were wide open and held back against the wall.

The dining hall was packed with other kids all sitting in one of the many long dining hall tables. The walls of the hall was painted a creamy white and had white pillars in all four corners of the room reaching high and as I followed the pillars path towards the ceiling, I realized exactly how high the ceiling was raised.

As Carter and I walked through the front doors slowly, we descended the staircase at the very front which was completely made of dark timber that seemed brand new and shined brightly, squeaking slightly under the pressures of everyone walking over them constantly and hurriedly.

The hall was set out by twenty long parallel tables aligned next to each other, ten in the front and ten in the back. With seats going around the whole of the tables aside from both heads of them. Many of the tables were already filled with kids and others were still settling into them.

"Wow," breathed out Carter from beside me and I turned to see him staring astonished at the dining hall, eyes wide.

"Yeah," I agreed and he turned his head towards me and let out a little chuckle but not in humour, more in shock, especially from the perturbed look on his face.

He gestured his head to the tables and looked back to me, "we'd better get seats," he told me.

"Or we could just skip this shit," he then said and it brought a smile to my lips, at the thought of skipping this.

He looked over to me and had a hopeful look on his face but I just shook my head, unfortunately. "We don't get a choice Carter."

"Damn," he whispered and I laughed shaking my head before walking down the dark timber floor boards towards a nearby table which was one of the back ten tables, furthest from the front where there was one large table where all the officials and head coordinators sat.

The way all the officials and coordinators sat at the front made me almost laugh. It was like something out of a book, more specifically how the teachers from Hogwarts sat.

I walked stifling my laughter as Carter followed behind me and I obviously didn't miss the multiple cameramen set around the dining hall and all the cameras trained on multiple tables and even individuals. The thought of potentially having a camera trained and fixated on me sent a cold shiver down my spine and I ignored the feeling of wanting to check all the cameras to see if there were any of them focusing on me.

Suddenly I felt a hand on my lower back and I felt Carter's breath on the back of my neck.

"You okay?"

I could only nod in response and sat on a nearby seat which also had one spare next to it where Carter sat beside me.

On my right there was some guy sitting next to me and he seemed to be in a bit of a mood, whether being here or not. I could tell he wasn't happy by the way he had is arms crossed and glared at anyone who stared a second to long in his direction. Beside him was a chirpy girl who seemed she couldn't stop smiling. Her short blonde hair was tucked behind her ears and she was talking to some girl beside her and one girl in front of her.