Gretchen continued lecturing the class on World War II which wasn't really necessary anyways. He kept on pulling up his loose jeans that choked his chubby legs around the shins and thighs, yet was loose around his waist. He had a purple button down shirt tucked into his pants but didn't hide the beer gut which he beheld.

The bell finally rang as Gretchen was in mid word and caused me to escape from my thoughts as the whole class immediately left their seats rushing out to finally have lunch.

Although people rushed out of the classroom I knew they weren't hungry. It was more escaping the lecture waiting to come from Gretchen as he heaves for air as he screams drastically at us to complete the homework which definitely won't ever be seen again.

Not wanting to be the one to deal with the lecture, I quickly packed up my bag placing the ruined scratched up book that laid untouched on my desk into it and the pencil case which was just some old makeup bag from my older cousin that was only on the desk for show.

I headed out of the classroom on the second floor narrowly avoiding beer gut Gretchen, not bothering to wave or say a simple goodbye to Gretchen due to the lack of sleep I had gotten last night and the awaiting lecture.

But as I left the classroom I couldn't help to turn back when I saw Gretchen sitting at his desk, barely tucked into it as his gut wouldn't fully fit in. He had an expression of pure depression sitting on his face as he leant on his hands, his dark oily hair falling onto his forehead, darkness all around him.

I felt my chest tighten together as I watched him silently for a few seconds. He had never been the same since Gracie. Gracie was his niece who came to Redlake High a few years back. She moved in with her uncle Gretchen seeing as he was her only family left after the devastating death of her two parents.

She was all Gretchen had too, his wife had died along with Gracie's parents. If it wasn't for Gracie he would've lost himself an even longer time ago.

I could never forget the look on Gretchen's face as he watched Gracie die. He was completely stricken, tears streaming down his face and a blank look starting to form in his eyes.

He had lost his only family left to the Resdue.

Slowly, I turned around not wanting him to see me with the look of pity which I knew was on my face. I wouldn't want to cause him anymore pain.

Turning around where the chaos occurred, I began walking down the hallway narrowly avoiding the couple making out by the stainless steel lockers which had a large indent in, no doubt from some guy who was probably pissed and a guy with a pile of books stacked on top of the other which made it even taller than himself somehow.

It was when the stench of a football player for the school walked by when I heard the noise of the most annoying person ever screaming my name down the hall as if he was never going to see me again.

"Bryce!"

Not surprised, I turned around to find my best friend Soren making his way through the crowded hallway trying to get to me.

He sped towards me in his worn out orange Nike shirt, plain black shorts and signature Michael Jordan's which made a squeaky noise every time he stepped.

I remembered when he first saw them. We were walking towards the food court of the local shopping centre when we passed Rebel Sport where kids went to buy signature sporting clothes to try make themselves believe they were real athletes, when really they spend half their day sitting down after walking a few metres screaming about sweat.