Five Nights at Shinganshina

Reina: Another lost fic of mine. However, this one is unfinished and was written at the same time as Nintendo Nightmares.

Chapter 1: Welcome to Shiganshina

Petra

I ran to my friend Levi and jumped on his back a few minutes after the bell rang. "Hi Levi!"

Levi sighed as he pulled my arms off. "You're hyper today. Almost Hanji-hyper."

"Haha. Very funny," I replied. "It's just that I didn't get any homework for the next two days."

"Is that so?"

"Yep."

"That explains a lot. I don't have any either."

"Do you want to walk home?" I asked Levi.

"I don't really care."

"Okay."

We began to walk from the school and towards our neighborhood, chatting about our day and discussing people we got angry at. Levi and I were freshmen at Trost High School. We had been neighbors since we were babies, and our parents had known each other since college. Levi and I were average students, and we didn't bother doing sports. We normally hung out with our close friends Hanji Zoe and Erwin Smith. Surprisingly enough, they didn't come out to meet with us. They were probably busy with class work and had to stay after school.

When we were halfway home, Levi stopped suddenly. I slowed my pace and looked at what had caught his interest. It was a run-down facility, covered in ivy and moss. Some of the shingles and bricks had fallen off a long time ago. The plants looked sickly, and the words that were etched in the archway had long since faded. What used to be a sign was torn in half, and the bricks looked crumbled. In short, it looked like a condemned building. Interestingly enough, I don't ever recall seeing this building, but then I remembered that the normal path home had been closed, so we had gone down the less worn path.

Levi twitched slightly. "That building is dirty."

"It's probably closed down, so no one can clean it," I replied. I was tired of Levi's cleaning obsession. It was so bad that his house (and to some extent, my house and the school) always had to be in tiptop shape.

"I can't stand it," he murmured.

"Let's go home."

Levi ignored me as he walked closer towards the building. Growling, I followed him. He opened the door, and together we entered the desolate building.

The waiting room was depressing, like it hadn't seen the light of day in years. Cobwebs covered the chairs, windows, and desks. Many of the light bulbs were dusty and burnt out, and only five were lit. The white wallpaper was peeling off, revealing an ugly yellow color underneath. The dust was two inches thick, but I could smell cleaning solution. Someone was typing away at a desk, and Levi and I edged closer. She had blonde hair and gray eyes, and wore glasses similar to Hanji's. Her name tag read "Rico".  When she saw us, her eyes widened.

"Ah. Visitors. Finally," she muttered in surprise as she pulled some yellow forms out. "Names?"

"I'm Levi Ackerman and this is Petra Rall," Levi replied.

"Are you here to see Mikasa Ackerman, a relative of yours?" Rico asked.

"What? No. I come here to ask you why this building is dirty," Levi muttered. I elbowed him, and he shot me a glare.

Rico looked down. "Is it that bad? I know that our funding was cut, but for it to be that noticeable..."

"Pardon?" I asked.

"We're the Shiganshina Psychological Institute, dedicated to helping all those who need sanctuary. We were once well-respected, but after that event two years ago..."

"What event?" I asked.

Rico looked away. "Nothing. You should go."

She went back to typing. I looked at Levi. We turned and left.

------------------------------

"This is crazy," Levi muttered to me the next day. We were leaving school after the final bell rang, and this time we were accompanied by Erwin and Hanji. I felt bad for Rico and the young girl that was named Mikasa, so I made some cookies for them. Hanji laughed when I did that, but I wasn't exactly allowed to do anything else that I had planned, as they involved insanity and stupidity.*

We entered the room, which had now been swept. Levi seemed to relax, but Erwin looked around with caution, worried that something unpleasant would happen. Hanji was humming to herself, not really noticing her surroundings.

I approached Rico's desk. "Here's some cookies for you."

She looked shock. I had interrupted her typing, and I highly doubt that people offered her gifts like this often.

"Thank you," Rico replied.

(Chapter ends here)

*Petra isn't a stupid person, but she couldn't realistically come up with a plan to figure out what has happened.

Reina: The original idea was for Erwin, Levi, Hanji, and Petra to get some files of the patients - Eren, Mikasa, Armin,etc after an incident at Shignashina. Everyone was institutionalized, and they wrote what happened to them. I think Eren and Armin were scared, Mikasa was supposed to be emotionless, and Sasha went insane, befriended Chica, and attacked everyone.

Probably not going to write this.