Death is My Only Companion (1)

Reina: This is my zombie fic with Attack on Titan that I never uploaded.

Chapter 1: Welcome to Hell

For many people, looking outside the window allowed their minds to drift and think about anything but their busy day. Every time I looked outside my window, however, I saw the living hell I was stuck in.

What was once a gorgeous village with lush flowers, bustling people and the laughter of children became a barren wasteland. A ghost town. The buildings have fallen in disrepair. Windows were shattered and their glass strewn the ground. Some places had burned to the ground. Others looked as if they had been ripped apart piece by piece. Vines and mushrooms grew everywhere. The grass was extremely tall, and all of the order that was placed on the plants had withered when they began to move into the streets. Seeing this depressed me. It had been two years since this village was abandoned because of the Titan infection.

The Titan infection came from nowhere. It swept through villages and towns, ravaging all it could. As soon as people saw this, they fled and left everything behind. Once they were out of the area, the government quarantined them in a section of the country to make sure that none of them were infected. Once they were clear after two weeks, they were reintegrated into society. The towns that were ravaged, however, were separated from the rest of society by a 100 meter wall. Nothing could climb over it, and nothing could go under. To the government, this was a win. They were safe.

For the rest of those left behind, we were in hell.

There was no way to kill these "Titans". Many were either killed or turned into Titans themselves. The rest either disappeared or died from starvation. I don't know how many I buried, but it was more than is normal for one's sanity.

As far as I know, I'm the only human left. There could be more, but I haven't seen a living human in months. The last one I saw was killed before my eyes by two Titans. Somehow, I managed to escape in the confusion. To this day I don't know how I did it, but I do know that I was lucky to escape.

This made me sick to my stomach. That someone as weak as me could survive longer than those trained in warfare. It made me feel like a coward. It made me look like a fool.

Probably to make myself feel better, I taught myself how to use a gun. I was lucky that I didn't accidentally shoot and kill myself, because I sucked at shooting. Over time, however, I began to improve. This would have comforted me, but the Titans are near unstoppable. They ran faster than the average human, and were stronger too. Their senses were heightened, and their teeth were rather sharp. They couldn't speak. They could only wail and scream. All they ate were humans. Some of their victims became Titans themselves, but I don't know what they do when they're short on people for food.

What I do know is that hiding in a village like this allowed me to avoid Titans for a while. After a few weeks, I moved to another town. I've done this for months to avoid the Titans and to stock up on supplies. By some miracle, there was a gun store in every village, and I could help myself to what I wanted. There wasn't anyone in town, so money was basically worthless. This also depressed me, but I couldn't do anything about it. I was stuck here.

I dreamed several times of escaping this hell, but I could only escape into the mountains or into the ocean. Both were rather treacherous, as the way to them is flooded with Titans and living there guaranteed instant death from the elements. Any route I took meant my death. And with half of the country sealed to prevent the infection from spreading, I was basically left to die.

I had come up with plans of escape, but I didn't have the tools necessary for that. All I had was tools to maintain my motorcycle. This motorcycle was one I found in a town a year ago. It was high-quality and silent as a hummingbird. I took the liberty of modifying it, so now it had an electronic map attached to the front, guns attached to the sides, and a box to contain supplies and small guns. I don't know how many times that bike has saved me, nor do I how many I had replace parts of it due to it being damaged. It's a miracle that there are bike parts in the cities where I need them the most, but I'd rather not dwell on that. I planned to add some more tech to it, but I never had the time to do it. I also couldn't find what I want to add to it, so I kept searching for stuff when I could.

When I wasn't upgrading my bike, I was training to become a better fighter or looking for food. I was basically a scavenger, but with no one with me, I felt better about scavenging, as no one could laugh. Yet no one could help me when I needed it the most. It was hell.

An orphan. Abandoned by all. Friendless. That what I was.

To me, this was my normal life. Running, scavenging, and going insane from loneliness. This is how I thought I would die.

But I was so wrong. I was wrong about everything I knew.

Reina: In case you want to know who's the narrator, it's Armin Arlert.

Yeah... I think he's OOC......