Something Is Coming

(Link's point of view)

It has been five days since my sister, Loki, and little Liv left for Asgard. In their absence, I have maintained an ever watchful eye over the throne just as I had promised. I hope that they are having a pleasant stay with Loki's family, however, I so look forward to their return. The palace seems so empty without them.

It is late now. Darkness has long since shrouded out the winter sunlight as I lie here in my chambers alongside Kendha and a slightly snoring Christiana. For some odd reason, I cannot will myself to fall asleep. I have been laying here for well over an hour, staring straight up at the ceiling. I cannot put my finger on it, but something unsettling quivers within my senses. Almost as if my subconscious detects a threat. I am slightly off kilter, feeling restless and even jittery.

I shove out a frustrated breath of air before rolling over to my side. I am never going to fall asleep feeling like this. Perhaps I should fancy a stroll about the palace. Or maybe even an extra nightcap. Scotch.....That might do the trick. Surely that can help settle this strange anxiety that has surfaced from out of nowhere.

I quietly scoot out of the bed, being extra careful not to disturb my two precious ones from their sleep. I fetch a long cloak before hastily fastening it around my neck, then move out into the hallway. I make sure to close the doors behind me as quietly as possible.

I wander aimlessly without spotting a single soul. The palace hallways are completely barren. Obviously. It is almost midnight. No doubt, everyone is fast asleep within the safety of their own chambers.

Despite the relief I experience from being mobile, the strange unsettled feeling has not yet left me. I feel clammy and stuffy, almost as if I cannot get a good breath of air. I decide to make for the veranda. Perhaps the winter's biting chill may aid in distracting my eerie sensations.

I step out into the blackness of the night. The glacial wind whips around my figure, stinging at my face with its frostbitten kiss. I can feel bits of snow blowing up against my cheeks as the gusts force my cloak to fly out behind me. But I instantly feel much better as I take in a long, deep breath. The icy air that burrows itself into my lungs sends for my mind to become most pleasantly distracted. Eventually, I take a few steps forward, thus landing me out in the open grounds of the gardens. The only prominent light is that of the small lanterns that line the veranda's railing. Their petite and delicate billows of illumination offer very little visibility as the darkness is so heavy around them.

I stand here for an unknown amount of time, but I do not feel any colder. I scan the area, taking in what little that my eyes can see before deciding to move back and sit on the veranda's steps. But as I do, a ferocious gust of wind suddenly roars, almost knocking me off of my feet. Damn....there must be a snowstorm on the way....

I am just about to pull myself to my feet and make my way inside when a sudden hissing sound catches my guarded attention. It sounds almost like a faint whisper, attempting to fight its way through the roar of the wind's bellows. I halt in my actions, honing in on my hearing senses. The eerie sound only escalates as the winter breeze settles. What in the hel?

Then, all movement around me comes to a complete still. The wind ceases, thus leaving a pressing silence weighing down upon my shoulders. My anxiety is peaked; my unsettled nerves are thrashing wildly as I pull myself to my feet. I hear no more of the haunting whisperings for a short time.

I narrow my eyes, scanning the darkness before me. I see no cause or reason for the strange whispers that just wafted through the air. This only leaves my adrenaline rushing all the more. What could that noise have been from?

Then, almost as soon as this question flitters through my mind, the wind barely picks up once more. And I hear the whisper once again. Only this time, it is much louder. Clearer. It sounds.....like a person....a person speaking.....

A woman?

"Link....."

I feel my eyes widen upon hearing my name spoken aloud. What in the bloody hel?

I square my shoulders before reaching back behind myself, aiming to grab my sword. Damn! I didn't fetch it on my way out! I am weaponless!

"Link....Do not be afraid....." The voice somehow sounds familiar. I know this voice from somewhere. Where have I heard it before?

"Link......"

I step out and away from the veranda steps, hunching over in a domineering stance.

"Who are you?" I hiss, gritting my teeth in fearsome alertness.

"What do you want?" I hear a faint hissing as if someone is taking in a strained breath between their teeth. Then, I receive a reply. But it is somewhat blurry and faded.

"You know who I am, Prince of Medina." The tone laced within this response is terrifying enough but I sense no malignant or harmful intention. Whomever this is speaking bares no ill will....I am almost certain.....

There is only a brief pause of a silence before the wind dies down once more. Then, the voice comes through clear as a crystal bell. And I feel my blood become almost as icy as the air around me upon hearing its words.

"You must listen to my words, and do exactly as I say. Prepare yourself, for something is coming...."

*I apologize that this chapter was not released on Friday. I was out of town this past weekend and have just now gotten around to finalizing everything and publishing. I know this one is rather short compared to my others, but I wanted this to be completely focused on Link's happenings. And any questions you have will be answered very shortly. I promise! More chapters to come! Thank you to all and MUCH LOKI LOVE!