Beating Heart

(Her point of view)

I close my eyes, resting my open palm over his heart. I gasp.

"Is this possible?" I feel the faint embers of heat beneath my hand, almost choking as I sense it. A single thud. A heart beat. He is still alive! Barely.....

I waste no time in standing to my feet only long enough to move to his side.

"Christine?" I hear Loki's concerned voice only faintly through my already set concentration.

"What are you doing?"

Without verbally replying, I lean down and press my ear to his chest, listening carefully. I close my eyes, praying that I hear it again. Please....please....be alive! Please be alive!

I hear footsteps approaching, but I do not lift my head. I remain resting over his heart, pleading for another beat. I feel Loki's hand grasp my shoulder.

"Christine, what is it?"

I hold up a finger, wordlessly begging for him to stop talking. I press my cheek against my brother's chest all the more, waiting. Waiting.....

Then, I hear it. A single, loud thump. It falters, echoing loudly against his rib cage.

"Loki! He is still alive!"

"What?!" He gasps, falling to his knees behind me.

"That is impossible! He took his last breath hours ago. How could he still be alive?! All this blood...." he is mumbling in shock.

"Of course! Why did I not see it before?" I say, reeling from the now obvious. I lift my head up from his chest to turn and look to my prince.

"What do you mean?" he asks, leaning in closer to me.

"If he were truly dead, he would have met with me. He would have come to greet me in the clouds with my Mother."

His brow creases at my response.

"Loki, it is not too late. I can still save him!" I shout. His eyes widen as I continue speaking.

"I can heal him!" My wings twitch with excitement. I can already feel the burning fire from my energy rising within my center core.

"Christine!" he hisses. "Will...will you wane from this? Will it affect you as it did before?"

I almost want to laugh at his questions.

"And here I thought that you had learned to stop doubting me," I scoff harmlessly, grinning at him. He narrows his green orbs, staring at me in awe.

"You might want to move back, my Love," I order, winking at him. He does so instantly and without hesitation. I turn and look back down to my dear brother before taking the axe's handle and tearing it out of his stomach. Blood gushes in rivers. I must act fast. He will bleed to death if I delay at all.

I bring my hands up to his chest and close my eyes. I focus in on the center of my chest, smiling widely as the heat rapidly climbs in thrilling sensations. My inner flames lick at my neck before racing through my limbs. Knowing that I shall never again weaken from this is astounding. I no longer have to fear weakening or any negative reprocussions.

I feel invincible. Incredibly powerful. Unstoppable.

I gasp loudly as the pink glow surrounding my being brightens. It shines from between my fingers as they cling to my brother's heart. I cannot help but laugh as my newly regained strength escalates, causing my muscles to twitch. Only this time, they do not ache or throb from the weight of my energy. They pulse with power, pumping even more light into my fire. I am reeling, completely stunned as each and every fiber in my being becomes overpowered, totally shrouded in fantastic force. I push forth, sending the light of my energy directly down into his chest. All the while, I silently pray, whispering in my head for him to be able to hear me. Please, Link. Please do not give up on me. You are the strongest man that I have ever known. You can fight through this. Come back to us. Please. Come back.

I squint my eyes shut, forcing more of my unwavering energy down into him. I can feel it spreading through each of his limbs, flooding his veins with its scorching form. I feel his heart singularly thud harshly beneath my palms. My eyes fly open, staring down at his face. Another loud thump, then another. Oh my gods! It's working! Oh my gods!

I push even harder, gritting my teeth. Come on, Link! Come on. Open your eyes! Open your eyes!

The beatings of his heart increase until it is racing furiously. My energy continues to flow throughout his entire body, causing his muscles to twitch and writhe beneath my will. I barely notice that the ground has begun to tremble. The winds whip through the feathers of my enormous wings, sending them spreading out behind me. I smile at the incredible sensation. It feels similar to that of when I ride Breseis, when the gusts of wind dance through my hair. This is spectacular!

The sudden jolt of his chest flying upward from off of the ground breaks my flittering thoughts. I hone in on his thundering heart, finding that it is slowly returning to a steady pace. I smile before allowing my energy to seep back into the palms of my hands. I can feel every tendon within him relaxing, reforming themselves as they adjust to new life. Then, I look up into the sky, closing my eyes. The ground slowly subsides in its quaking, the winds die down to that of a light breeze. A pleasant silence falls over the land, filling my soul with comforting peace.

I look back down to my brother's face, opening my eyes. He is practically glowing, no longer pale and sunken in. The cuts on his face are no longer present. The enormous gash that once consumed his torso is nothing but a memory. His entire form is strengthened and new, looking stronger than ever. His eyes are still closed, but as I lean down and press my ear to his chest, I hear the steady rhythm of his heartbeat. His chest rises and falls in slow, calming breaths. I smile once again through the joyful tears that are forming in my eyes. Then, I raise my head up before taking his face in my hands.

"Open your eyes, Link. Open your eyes."

The muscles around his eye sockets twitch only briefly at the sound of my voice. My heart flips in my chest. Time passes in lingering ticks until finally, his own shade of green is staring right back at me.

"C...Christine?!"