Examination

(Her point of view)

I take the first bite, anxiously awaiting for its tart flavor to overpower my taste buds. Gods above, this tastes so good.

I ask Daegan if he still plans on visiting us from time to time. I cover my lips, instantly scolding myself for talking with my mouth full. But then, I faintly hear my Love chuckling as his loving eyes watch my every move. I take another bite, savoring the sweet flavor all the more. I am about to make a smart remark to my adoring husband for laughing at me but am suddenly thrown for a loop. I halt in my chewing, grimacing from the now horribly off taste of the fruit. Ugh! Oh my gods! It's rotten!

My stomach immediately wrings in agony, sending for me to spit out the remains of the apple. As I do, the horrible twisting sensation in my gut increases ferociously. In a matter of seconds, I feel the dreaded, all too familiar urge to vomit. At first, I attempt to hold it in. But I am instantly left with no choice as my churning stomach flips in over itself, sending for me to wrench forward most violently. I feel the grotesque burn as the acidic liquid shoots up my throat and out of my mouth. I close my eyes, cringing from the raw, stabbing pain as it somehow gets up into my nose. Disgusting!

I finally will myself to stop gagging before leaning back against the headboard. I am winded and suddenly so completely fatigued. I allow my eyes to remain closed for only a moment longer, as they are willed to fly open upon hearing his gasp.

"OH MY GODS!" Loki!

As my vision falls to his face, I see that he is gawking in horror. I follow his terrified gaze, only to be filled with just as much fear upon seeing what he cannot seem to process. My sheets and comforter just across my legs and torso are completely drenched in a diluted form of blood. Did all of that just come out of ME?!

I gasp, covering my mouth. Oh my dear Gods! What in the hel is wrong with me?!

I hear Branye saying something in a hurried voice, but I do not even attempt to make out her words. I am far too stunned with fright.

"Christine!" I faintly hear my Love's voice trying to reel me back in from my shocked state. I turn to look at him, trembling and truly terrified.

"Loki, something is wrong with me." He reaches for my one hand that is not hovering over my gaping mouth. His eyes widen all the more upon hearing my desperate words. His jaw tenses in a most tremulous manner as his hand tightens around my own.

"What is wrong with her, Branye?!" He shouts, sending for me to lower my hand away from my face.

"I thought you said she should be on the mend by now!" I allow my eyes to linger on his deeply troubled face, watching as the color seems to be draining from his skin. Branye and Daegan move in a blur, removing the soaked linens away from my body. Luckily enough, the disgusting liquid did not seep through all of the layers of my sheets so my body remains dry. Daegan tosses them over towards the door whilst Branye goes and retrieves clean blankets to cover up my chilling body. Once she has done so, she moves to sit on my other side. As I turn to look at her, she offers me an immensely concerned glance before she reaches up and wipes my mouth with a damp, cool cloth.

"I thought that it would be, My King. But it seems that...." she pauses, looking deeply into my eyes as though she is staring into another world. Almost as if she can see something that the rest of us are unaware of. I feel my insides returning to the ghastly jittery state from before, sending for me to shift most uncomfortably.

"What is wrong with me, Branye?" I plead, reaching for my husband. He immediately stands and moves to sit right beside me, leaning up against the headboard. He wraps both of his arms around my trembling figure before pulling me tightly into his chest.