Sick With Worry

(His point of view)

My heart stops beating altogether upon hearing her speak Christine's name.

"What?!" I practically shout before I shove past her and move out into the hallway. As soon as I do, I turn in the direction of where I last saw her standing. And there, sprawled on her side upon the floor, is my dark angel. Completely unconscious. Partially blanketed by her sprawled out wings.

I close the short distance that separates us before immediately kneeling down to her side.

"Christine, Love. Can you hear me?" I get no reply. Shit....

I roll her over onto her back, finding that her skin has returned to the sickly pale shade that it wore only last night. All except for her cheeks. They are scalding red. As I reach for her forehead, I wince upon feeling the intensity of fever burning through her clammy skin. Damn it....she is still sick...

I barely notice that Daegan has moved to kneel just on the other side of her. He is watching me carefully, eyeing my every move.

"She looks identical to her sickly state only last night," he states. He goes to touch her forehead but instantly retracts his hand. Smart move, Daegan.....YOU do not comfort her. I do that.

"Is she warm?" he asks, bringing his eyes up to mine. I nod without removing my eyes away from her face.

"She is burning up," I respond. I can hear Kendha sniffling behind me, obviously feeling scared for her cherished sister.

"Kendha, please go and send for Branye. She should be down in the kitchen by now, helping with dinner. I will carry Christine back up to our chambers and wait for her there," I order. She does not hesitate as she breaks into a run, heading quickly out of sight. Meanwhile, I swiftly scoop my arms up underneath my Beloved before carefully lifting her up from off of the ground. As I do, she groans. I feel her barely shuffling within my grasp as her head moves to rest against my chest, even in her barely coherent state. That is more like it.....find your comfort in ME, my Love. No other but ME.....

"It is alright, my Love. I have you. You're going to be alright," I whisper in her ear. She moans in a strained voice, burrowing her face into the crevice of my neck.

"Loki..." Her tone is barely above a struggled whisper. She sounds as if she is in severe discomfort.... what could have happened?

Despite my smothering worry over her strange illness, I am marveling at the feel of her seeking solace within my embrace. Not Daegan's. MINE....

I move to stand, pulling her even closer into my body. She remains completely still, breathing evenly as I begin making towards the entrance of the hallway. The wings of her delicate feathers rustle lightly against the marble floor. That is when I realize that this is the only sound I can now hear. I do not hear his footsteps following after me.... That is a surprise to say the least....

Without hindering my quickened pace, I turn and look over my shoulder at him.

"Aren't you coming?" I ask. He raises an eyebrow at me, obviously questioning my words.

"Oh come on, Daegan. Just because you cannot touch her does not mean that you cannot come along. She is sick for gods' sakes. I know you are worried, and I might need your help before Branye arrives." He is at my side in record time, keeping up with my every step.

We walk in silence, taking a more concealed route to reach the tower stairs. All the while, I am pondering what in the hel could be wrong with her. She had mentioned only earlier this morning that she thought she had contracted some sort of gastric virus going around within the palace. If that is the case, then it should not last very long. I pray that it does not, for I hate seeing her like this. I wish that there was some way that I could help, that I could make her feel better.