Strong Enough

(His point of view)

"Tis alright, Darling," I hear a familiar voice shrouding my dreamless sleep. My eyes fly open only to find that my angel has reawakened and is already groaning in rising discomfort.

I pull myself away from the headboard, reaching for her hand. She takes it immediately before turning to face me. Her eyes are so swollen from lack of rest, but they shine forth in their glowing form nonetheless. She looks completely exhausted, but her determined stature does not falter. She stares at me in silence with an unreadable look for a time before she leans her head up against my shoulder. I kiss the top of her head, breathing in her wonderful, spring scent. But Branye's words interrupt my relishing in my angel's heavenly scent.

"She had awoken only seconds before you did, Sire. Her contractions are starting to phase back in. Dr. Lomberan is about to perform another exam." I look around the room, searching for the elderly man.

"Where is he?" I ask. But she does not have to answer. As soon as I finish speaking, he emerges from the bathing chambers, wiping his hands with a towel.

"Excellent. You are awake, Your Majesty. I was just about to commence with another exam. Her Majesty was awakened due to another contraction, so it is obvious that the medicine is wearing off. I need to see if she has dilated any more since before she fell asleep." I nod to him without speaking. I feel her take in a deep breath, sounding exasperated and anxious. This sends for me to immediately peer back down at her delicate figure.

"I am here, Christine. You are going to be alright." She lifts her head up from my shoulder, gazing at me with the deepest look of gratefulness. I peck the tip of her nose, then each of her eyes.

"You are going to be just fine. I know it."

Her eyes soften even more as she tilts her chin upward, clearly desiring for me to kiss her. I do so more than willingly, closing my eyes as her warm lips melt into my soul. We share a brief moment in heaven before I pull away, leaning my forehead against hers. She still does not speak, but I can hear the sudden peak in her breathing. I feel the muscles in her hand tense as she still clings to my own. Another contraction?

I turn my face to look for the doctor, quickly finding the reason for her tension. He is standing in between her legs, applying a pair of gloves.

"Alright, My Queen. I am going to check your cervix. Can you spread your legs for me, please?" She nods before lifting herself up and away from me just enough to rest up on her elbows. I wrap an arm around her shoulders, assisting her in getting in a more suitable position. Branye moves closer in to her other side, reaching for my angel's other hand. We share a brief glance of concern for our darling Queen before we both turn to look down in the doctor's direction.

"Alright. You are going to feel me touch here, and here," he states in a calming tone. "Now, you will feel some pressure. That is me checking for further dilation." As soon as he says this, I feel her hand squeezing mine a bit tighter as a hiss of air floods into her lungs.

"I know it is uncomfortable. Just breathe," he encourages. It does not take long before I feel her fingers loosen around my tingling hand. He stands, eyeing us once again from over her protruding belly.

"You are now six and a half centimeters, My Lady. And judging by the thinning of your cervix, I expect your contractions are to become more frequent at any moment." He removes his gloves before assisting in helping move her legs back together.

"Branye, would you mind fetching a cool pitcher of water and a good amount of large towels? Perhaps a few extra pillows just in case we need to place them up underneath her lower half." She is already off in a flash, heading for the direction of the bathing chambers. As soon as she returns, he goes over to his bag. I watch as he reaches in and retrieves his stethoscope from within its leather confinements.