Return

(Her point of view)

We are standing just outside of the temple. I take in a deep breath, relishing in the warmth of the sunlight that beams down on my face. Gods...it is so good to be home. For a time, I feared that I would never see it again...

Before departing back into the heavens, My Mother properly lines each of the deceased warriors on the ground over to the left of the stone walls and covers them in a sheet of silk. She blows me a kiss, as does my beloved daughter before they ascend, promising to return in the morning to aid in taking the Asgardians back home.

I order for us all to return to the palace for food and rest. I also tell Thor that I, along with my Mother, will personally escort he, his warriors, and their fallen back to their home at tomorrow's first light. I feel that it should be my responsibility to go along. I am so very grateful to them for their service and sacrifice. Of course, Loki insists on coming with us, which I do not mind in the least. For I never wish to be parted from him ever again.

We make our way up to the palace. As we pass walk along the pebbled paths of Town Market, villagers come running out into the streets. They cheer and clap, seemingly overjoyed upon seeing our return. Each of them gawks at my new wings, pointing and shouting more loudly than ever as they declare that their angel has returned. My heart is still stunned but relieved to finally know who I am. I finally have the answers as to why I was born this way. And to know that my beloved people accept me all the more despite my different appearance means the world to me.

But then, I fight back burning tears as I see some of the women and their children, searching for their dear husbands and fathers whom I know have fallen. It breaks my heart into a million pieces as their eyes anxiously scan the rows of men marching by. I dread the burial services. It will kill me inside to watch as the weeping widows and their children mourn for their losses. I know that death is only a natural part of war, but that does not make the pain that comes with it any easier to bare. I wish more than anything that I could snap my fingers and revive them all. Medinian and Asgardian alike.

I feel a strong arm wrap around my waist, pulling me into his cool side.

"What is wrong, my Love? Are you not overjoyed to be back home?" I allow my head to hang only slightly, choking back my brimming tears. By this time we have reached the main front gate that leads up towards the palace. I am safely out of my people's sight.

"Loki. All of those men's families, the looks on their faces as they searched our armies for their loved ones. The ones that did not make it...." I bite my bottom lip, stifling a whimper. He tightens his grip around my waist before kissing my temple.

"Christine, there is nothing more you can do. You have already sacrificed so much for your people. I know that it will not be easy, but we must remain strong for them. They will look to us, especially you, for strength." I turn to look at him, baffled by his leading response.

"How do you always know to say just what I need to hear?"

He chortles quietly before kissing my temple again.

"That is what we do, Darling," he replies. "We are there for one another. We lean on each other in our times of need. That is yet another thing you have taught me. That it is alright to admit that we need help, to admit our weaknesses." I lean my head over onto his shoulder, smiling into the safe crevice of his embrace. He has truly changed so much since I last saw him. He is hardly even the same man. Still the same in some ways, but so altered in so many others. He is stronger inside and out. He truly seems kingly in the highest sense. My King....

We continue making our way up the path towards our home. The tall towers are clearly visible from where we are. I almost gasp, taking in their enrapturing beauty in the morning sunlight.