Not an Angel

(Her point of view)

I scoff in slight amusement upon hearing his startled statement.

"I assure you, Daegan. You are very much awake." His eyes return to their widened stature as he seems to have difficulty processing my response. He remains silent for a time as his rapid breathing slowly climbs back down.

He just sits and stares at me. It leaves me feeling awkward and off kilter. I shift on the bed next to him, removing my hands away from his shoulders. My movement seems to do the trick. For as soon as he sees me fold my hands across my lap, he gasps in a choked voice.

"Christine?!" His voice is a battered hiss of breath as he moves to sit up perfectly straight. His eyes lock into mine, searching so very intently. It causes for my awkward discomfort to smother me further, but I do let him see this. I remain in gazing back at him, attempting to keep a kind smile aloft my face.

"W....what..." he swallows, gulping loudly as he shakes his head in a strange motion.

"What are you doing here? I did not think-," I hold up a hand, shushing him. I remain smiling still, before lowering it back down to rest over my lap once again.

"You did not think you were allowed to ever see me again," I finish for him. He nods in silence whilst moving to prop himself up against the wall just behind his bed. I sigh, finding that this is going to be a little more unpleasant than I thought. Now that he is sitting erect and within full view, I can see how much he has deteriorated in his time here. His skin is deathly pale. His eyes are so dark with plum circles beneath them, they almost look as if he has been in a scuffle. His lips are ashy gray and somehow seem thinner than I remember. His once strong and full jawline is now hidden beneath a mess of a dark brown beard that needs badly trimmed or shaved off altogether. He looks completely exhausted, drained of all forms of life. Were it not for me witnessing him sitting up and breathing with my own two eyes, I would believe him to be a ghost. I feel an enormous and painful lump forming within the confinements of my throat as I study his waning figure. But if he notices my observations, he does not make it known. He only continues to stare at me somewhere between a state of shock and excruciating fatigue. It almost looks blank, as if there is no one even present behind his chocolate eyes.

"Daegan, I only came because I received word that you were refusing to eat." His facial expression does not change in the slightest as I speak. He remains stone faced, showing no reaction whatsoever. Still blank and emotionless. I sigh yet again, reaching for his arm. As I do, he actually flinches away from my touch. And for some reason, it bothers me. Not because I have intimate feelings for him, but because of the fear that suddenly overcomes his eyes. I hesitate before finally leaning forward and touching his arm, where his now atrophied bicep rests. Even through the thin fabric of his tunic, I can feel how weak he has become. No longer the strong, muscular, and fierce General of Medina. He is a withering, rotting, corpse. And all because he loves me....because he cannot obtain my mutual affections....

As soon as my hand makes contact with his arm, I hear him gasp before his blank expression melts away into yet another glaze of puzzled astonishment. It actually sends for the bulge in my throat to build, but I swallow and begin praying that it will diminish so that I may speak clearly and without any sign of my own sorrow. I take in a few steadying breaths in as quiet a manner as possible whilst never allowing my eyes to leave his bewildered face. Once I feel as though I have regained composure, I curl my fingers around his frail arm and force myself to finally speak.

"I am not a fool, Daegan. I know why you are acting this way."

He barely tilts his head to the side, listening intently without responding.