Somehow Familiar

(Her point of view)

I awaken once again. Only this time, my bedside is empty. As my hand searches the desolate sheets beside me, my fingers trail over a single sheet of ivory parchment. I smile with my eyes still closed, already knowing what it is. I roll over, opening my lids to find his familiar and immaculate handwriting staring right at me. And as always, there is an absolutely glorious, budding rose resting at the parchment's side. I take it in one hand and bring it to my nose. I softly inhale its intoxicating perfume, smiling all the more from its heavenly aura. I bring it in, brushing its fragile petals against my lips before allowing my other hand to lift the note from the silken sheets. I blink my eyes, straining to focus on their words.

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of being and ideal grace.
I love thee to the level of every day's
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for right.
I love thee purely, as they turn from praise.
I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old grief's, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints. I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life; and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.

I smile so widely that the muscles of my cheeks begin to ache. Tears of emotional joy immediately begin pooling in my eyes. Oh, Loki.....if only you knew how much I truly love you. You are so incredibly wonderful in every way.

I stand from the bed, laying the cherished note upon my nightstand. I summon a vase of water for my pale, pink rose before placing it just at the poems side. I take a single step back, admiring his precious gifts. I cannot wait until he returns from his rounds so that I can thank him for his present. I only wish he were here now so that I did not have to wait.....

I suddenly have an idea. I quickly bathe and ready myself for my own routines, braiding my hair in a single, long rope behind my back. My wings flitter beneath the tickling sensation as it bounces back and forth in between their base with each of my steps. As I collect my jacket, I notice that Branye has taken to sewing in slits in its back so as to allow my feathers to fit through the leather. So thoughtful, she is. How I adore her.

I turn and retrieve a single piece of my own parchment and a quill with ink. I immediately know which poem to write.

Once finished, I giggle to myself as I gently blow on the ink to quicken its drying pace. As soon as I deem it fit, I neatly fold it before placing it within an envelope. I sealed it with candle wax, then press a branded likeness of the Medinian crest into its liquid form. I sigh, feeling more than satisfied with my final product.

Branye enters, bidding me a good morning in her usual, cheerful tone. I do the same, embracing her and thanking her for the new alterations to my clothing for my wings. She nods before inquiring as to where I am to head out to today.

"I am off to the lake today, Branye. But there is something that I must do first. Pray, do you happen to know where Loki's routine was to take him today?"

She grins at me, already suspecting that I have something up my sleeve.

"I have a small gift that I would like to give him on my way out," I explain. "I was hoping that you might know where I could find him." She giggles before turning to head for the bed. As she leans over, removing its sheets, she looks over in my direction.

"I believe that I overheard him speaking to your brother and Daegan at breakfast that they would be training today in the fields, then heading up to the mountain for a brief time." I smile. Perfect. It will be all too easy to spot him in the openness of the training arenas.