Unpleasing News

(His point of view)

"Gods, I'm tired," Link's rough voice states as we make our way down the shimmering hallway. We have just finished with our last dinner here in Asgard before we are to depart for home at first light tomorrow. I am beyond anxious to get back and be reunited with my dearly beloved angel. Her absence in this place has been almost unbearable, and I have worried myself sick over how she is faring in my time away. I simply cannot wait to have her back in the security of my longing arms.

I bid my Medinian brother a good night's rest before we split up, going into separate rooms to retire for the night. As soon as I am within the confinements of my old chambers, I find that I am even too tired to bathe. I hastily remove my clothing, tossing it over an obliging chair before collapsing onto my bed. I cannot help but immediately notice just how big and empty it feels without her at my side. It causes for my heart to ache most dreadfully. I reach up and take hold of my precious locket before bringing it up to my lips. I close my eyes as I offer it a kiss, bringing her lovely image to the top surface of my mind. Gods, I miss you, Christine. I cannot wait to see you again. I pray that you are well and that you have managed to not mourn my absence so terribly. I hope that you have found things to occupy yourself with, but somehow, I have a strong feeling that you have managed that particular task just fine. You have always been one to venture out and get into something new and exciting.

I chuckle from this thought. My mischievous Queen and her hidden desires for going against the grain. How I adore her so.

I roll over to my side, facing the open windows of my balcony. The fragrant and warm breeze is flowing in evenly, sending for my eyes to close. I have always relished in my old home's clean perfume, but it is nothing compared to that of my angel's.

I find myself fading into an array of visions as I mentally recall the happenings of the past few days....

Almost immediately after arriving, I learned that Thor spoke the absolute truth when he mentioned Father's waning state of health. He has been confined to his chambers for the now, as he is too weak to walk; even with the help of his staff. However, he was in pleasant enough spirits, as he is anxious to be reunited with his late Queen. The only thing that holds him back from giving up his hold on life is our daughter. He so wants to see her just once before he is to depart for Valhalla. I pray that he is able to summon the strength to hold on for another four months.

The first day in Asgard was filled with nothing but sitting by Father's bed. Listening in amusement, as he reminisced his younger days. I was quite surprised by some of the stories that he shared such as the moment he first met my Mother, the moment he asked her to marry him, the moment they learned they were to have their first child. And touchingly enough, he even went into explicit detail over his encounter with the Frost Giants and finding me abandoned in the snow. He then went on to state that, until the moment he learned that I was alive and had found a good life for myself, these were the four happiest memories of his long life. I found myself actually having to swallow a painful tightening within my throat upon hearing him speak of these things. My childhood may have been quite lonely and dark, but I had not realized until then how much he has truly always loved me. And once again, I found myself yearning for Christine's presence in that most emotional moment. She would have flourished in witnessing such a wonderful moment shared between a father and his two sons.

Father chuckled as he admitted having to add the day that he met Christine to his list, as it was a marvel to see her matured form as an adult. One of whom was half angel as well as the owner of his youngest son's heart. He asked of my beloved's health and how she was faring in her pregnancy. I shared with him the unpleasant symptoms from her first trimester but gloated immensely as I was able to say that she is no longer ill at all. He stated that my Mother had much of those same issues when she carried Thor and slept almost constantly. I smiled to myself, picturing a much younger version of my dear Mother, glowing and smiling as she walked the halls in such a delicate condition. I have no doubt that she carried this form just as beautifully as my own dear Queen.