City of Gold

(His point of view)

It is just after dawn. We are all of us gathered just outside of the temple, anxiously awaiting Adrielle's appearance. I am standing in between Daegan and Thor, watching from a short distance as Christine chats animatedly with her brother and Kendha. She is positively glowing in her apple red gown. It sets off the creamy complexion of her olive skin so beautifully, thus allowing for the green of her eyes to expand from her face. Her rich, brown locks are concealed beneath her hooded cloak, but I can easily spot a few stray hairs hanging loosely down by her cheeks. Her wings have returned to their proper place, spreading out marvelously behind her delicate shoulders. She looks like a princess from a far away land in one of the fairytales that my Mother used to read to me as a child. She is so simply flawless in all of her perfection. Strong, determined, poised. Beaming, lightened, and cheerful. I continue to take in her every minimal movement. Everything from the slight wave of a hand, to the enrapturing smile that blends onto her face as she laughs with her family is nothing short of subliminal perfection.

The King has just given a short speech of thanks to My Asgardian brother and his men before their nearing departure. He also wished that our alliance would remain strong, not just for times of war but in times of celebration. Thor gladly accepted his suggestions, speaking for all of them. Then, much to my grand surprise, he proudly announced that he would be returning next Spring for the wedding. I was honestly overjoyed at this news, as I so longed for him to be a part of it. At one time, I never dreamt he would be able to attend, let alone come to Medina at all. But it seems that fate has a rather amusing way of throwing me for a loop, time and time again.

I feel Daegan nudge my shoulder, distracting me only momentarily from focusing in so closely on her. I turn, chortling at his foolish grin. I had asked last night at dinner that he come with us to Asgard, along with Christine, Link, and myself. He has not stopped smiling since then. He instantly made me aware that he has never left this land before, other than to travel to Jotunheim and is immensely excited to see yet another realm. Especially a realm under far more pleasant circumstances. What better place to begin than that of the golden city of Asgard?

"Nervous?" I ask, chuckling almost devilishly. He scoffs at me, puffing his chest out.

"Nervous, my friend? No. Never." He laughs out loud as soon as he says this and straightening his shoulders, but I can sense his rising nerves just in the slightest as his eyes trail up into the skies.

"Asgard is beautiful. I truly think that you will be pleased with what you find," I offer quietly. His eyes cut over to me before he lets out another hushed laugh.

"One can only hope," he replies. I turn back to find that Christine is no longer standing with Link and Kendha. My eyes immediately begin scanning the large crowd around me, searching for her. My initial reaction is to panic, as I do not like being unaware of where she is at all times. Silly. I know that she is now more than capable of taking care of herself. I guess old habits die hard. And I could never cease with my deep concern for her anyhow.

I take a steadying breath in, holding it as my eyes continue to move towards the temple's far left wall. I exhale with enormous relief upon finally catching the glimpse of her shimmering, red gown. She is standing just at the end of the first row of the fallen Asgardian mens' bodies. She reaches down and lifts the silk fabric that had been doned by her Mother just yesterday to cover the bodies. I pat Daegan's shoulder, silently gesturing to him that I am moving elsewhere. Then, I begin making my way towards her but am forced to an abrupt stop as I see her pink glow beginning to outline her entire figure. Even with her back to me, I can tell that she has her arms stretched out in front from the set stance of her shoulders. I almost gasp upon noticing that her pink ribbon of light is now creeping its way around each and every motionless body. In only a matter of moments, I stand in awe, watching as they all begin to float up into the air above her head. Her arms slowly inch towards the sky, willing the men to head up and into the clouds. I follow their gliding bodies until my eyes meet with another angelic figure hovering in the skyline just to the east. Adrielle....