Hypocrite

(Daegan's point of view)

"Daegan?" Her voice immediately rises an octave upon seeing my face. It is quite obvious that I have awoken her from a deep sleep as she stands, waning on her tired feet.

"I am sorry to wake you up, Branye, but it is absolutely crucial that you come with me." Her sleepy eyes widen upon detecting the fierce sincerity in my voice.

"What is wrong?" she asks, wrapping her robe more securely around her body.

"It's Chris...I mean...it's the Queen," I struggle to get out.

"I believe....that she is ill." She immediately steps out into the hallway without even shutting her door behind her.

"What has happened?" she questions, keeping up with my quickened pace stride for stride.

"I am not certain, Branye, but she is definitely running fever, and she cannot seem to stop vomiting. I know not how long it has been going on, but she seems to be struggling and waning rather quickly. Something is definitely off."

We finally reach Christine and Loki's chamber doors. I step ahead of her to open them, then move to the side so as to allow her to go on in ahead of me. As she does, I watch as she scurries over to Christine's bedside. The angel has clearly passed out in a deep sleep, still propped up against the headboard. Her skin is a shade paler, but her cheeks are still glowing red as ever with fever.

Branye wastes no time in beginning to tend to her precious Queen. I stand back a ways, watching as she applies small dollops of what looks to be some strange looking sort of herbal oil onto Christine's lips, eyes, and upper chest. Then, she places cool towels over Christine's forehead, cheeks, arms, and even the palms of her hands.

"What are you doing?" I finally find the courage to ask. She does not turn to look at me but responds all the same.

"Applying herbs to reduce her symptoms. The cooling temperatures from the cloth combined with the oil's ingredients will work together in creating a sort of vapor that will seep into her skin. It will help alleviate any fever as well as any bacteria that might be threatening to manifest itself within her blood flow." Wow....I was not aware that she was so skilled in the arts of medicine, herbs, and the like. To hear her speak so informatively of such things, you could automatically assume she were a doctor of some sort.

I nod, remaining close to the doors and keeping my distance from the slumbering Queen. Even in sleep, her facial expression looks troubled and torn. It breaks my heart to witness such a saddened look resting upon her perfect face. Damn you, Loki......Damn you for what you have done to her....She deserves better that this.....

After some time, Branye finally removes the cooling towels and takes them to the bathing chambers. She returns with a small glass of water. I watch as she lovingly takes Christine's head in her hands, whispering for her to sip on the cool liquid. Even though she is half asleep, the beautiful Queen does as she is asked without ever even opening her eyes. The maid goes and refills the glass a few more times, continuing to will Christine to drink slowly. And after about the fourth or fifth trip, she finally places the glass to the side, seeming pleased that the angel has downed the liquid without regurgitating it. I stand, marveling at just how affectionately she tends to her beloved ruler. She truly loves her so much....almost as if Christine were her own daughter.

She then applies another slightly pale purple oil to the Queen's lips and just beneath her nose.

"Lavender and chamomile," she explains even though I have not asked any questions. "To help her rest more soundly."

I nod, chancing a single step closer to the bed.

"Is she going to be alright?" I ask. The maid turns to smile tiredly up over her shoulder at me.