Pillar of Strength

(His point of view)

"It is good to be home," Link states as we walk towards the palace. I smile as its glorious and welcoming towers come into view. Yes, it certainly is.

My Beloved is leaning her head against my shoulder, clinging to my arm. She seems down in spirits, but I do not have to ask why. I know that she is truly dreading this evening and the coming ceremony for the warriors that have fallen. My heart aches for her, for I know that some part of herself believes that their losses are partly her doing. But then, I admit that I feel slightly agitated as well. I have tried to tell her so many times that this is not the case, but her stubborn demeanor simply will not listen. Even as an angel, she can be so infuriating sometimes. I want to grab her by the shoulders and shake sense into her. I want so badly to make her see herself the way that I do. I want her to see that this was NOT her fault. It was my demonic Jotun brother's hand that had caused all of this. She was merely a mouse caught in his trap, a pawn in his wicked game of chess. In a way, we all were a part of his plan. Each a missing piece of the puzzle that he required to fulfill his dastardly deeds. I am more than thrilled that he is no longer alive. I know that it is not right for me to think such things, but I truly hope that he is burning in Hel at this very moment. I only wish that I could catch a glimpse of his suffering. For not even taking his life with my sword and Christine's fire did his punishment seem what it ought to have been. He deserved to be tortured into oblivion for what he did to her. To Byleistr. To so many innocent soldiers. Seeing him writhing in agony down in the deepest pits of Hel would surely convince me that he was, in fact, being repaid for all of his horrendous acts.

We have just entered in through the main entrance of the castle. Kendha and Christiana are already there waiting for us, as well as the King and Queen. They welcome us with open arms before inviting us to dine for brunch. I ask Daegan if he would like to come along, but he respectfully declines, stating that he would rather retire and rest before tonight's unpleasant event. I nod in understanding, tightening my hold on Christine's arm. I hear her sigh as she nuzzles my shoulder with her cheek.

"It is going to be alright, My Love," I whisper before planting a light kiss upon her forehead. She does not respond but only nods against me. We begin walking behind the others, heading in the direction of the back of the castle. My guess is that we are to dine outside. I remove my arm from its link within hers before moving to wrap it securely around her waist. I pull her closely into my side, aiming to offer her some sort of comfort from her internal pain.

My suspicions are proven correct, as we have brunch out on the veranda. It is pleasantly warm, even with the morning, summer sun rising overhead. Luckily, the later parts of the summers here are not as hot, thus providing a nice air for out of doors dining.

Varieties of fruits, pastries, quiches, and crisp wines and juices are served as we sit chatting of our trip to Asgard. The King and Queen are full of questions, acquiring of my Father and his health. They seem truly disheartened when I tell them of his waning state. But they are over the moon to hear that he offered us the throne. They state that they are grateful that we refused, but are extremely proud and honored that Christine and I were both named members of the Royal Council. They ask if Thor would be returning for the wedding, to which I happily reply yes. Kendha asks if any others will be attending along with him. I shake my head at her with a kind smile.

"I am not certain, but I know that The Warriors Three and Lady Sif are going to make an attempt to come. That is, if Asgard can remain at peace with the other realms for that amount of time."

"And what of your Father? Is he to attend?" The Queen asks before taking a small bite of fruit.

"He wishes more than anything that he could be here," I explain. "But his health and age have taken him captive to Asgard. He has not the strength to travel from realm to realm anymore. But Christine and I promised that we would visit with him very soon following the wedding."