Cause

(His point of view)

I am fighting with all of my strength to keep myself composed as his words crash mercilessly into me.

She must push the baby out as quickly as possible...

She could eventually bleed to death....

He reaches for my shoulder once again, patting it in a supportive gesture. But it brings no comfort whatsoever.

What am I going to do? I never would have imagined that I would be in this situation again. This most nightmarish plot as her life is once again in danger. That she will be stolen away from me.

I bite the tip of my tongue to keep from crying out in my wallowing agony. I cannot lose her.

"I do not understand," his aged voice cuts into my spiraling mind.

"She was doing so well. What happened that caused her to suddenly descend so quickly?" He scans the three of our faces before turning to eye Daegan and Link. They are still standing in the corner on the far end of the room by the windows. Link stares back at the doctor innocently enough, but it is Daegan who suddenly shifts most uncomfortably on his feet.

"His Majesty, Prince Link states that you were with the Queen when she began having contractions," Dr. Lomberan says, eyeing the wanly prisoner over his glasses.

"Was she in pain when she first got to you?" He goes on to ask. I move my own eyes over to the guilt-ridden man who cowers in the corner. He hangs his head for a moment before finally looking up meet the doctor's intense gaze.

"She seemed perfectly fine upon arriving at my cell, Doctor," he replies in gruff tone.

"Did something happen whilst she was with you that could have caused such a drastic change, then?" Dr. Lomberan goes on to prod. Daegan sighs, returning his head to its hanging stature. I scoff at his pathetic attempt to hide his shame.

"It would be most wise for you to be honest, Sir," the doctor states firmly.

"The Queen's life is at stake here, and I would not want to be the one responsible for such a tragedy. If you know something, then tell it." I hear my Beloved's sharp intake of breath, willing for my eyes to leave the prisoner's face and move to her own. She is still gripping tightly to her abdomen, but her eyes are now open widely. She is staring over at Daegan with a wary look of disturbance. What is going through her mind?

I go to the bedside, taking my seat once again. As I do, I reach for one of her hands before pulling it into my lap. All the while, I keep my gaze plastered on the lifeless man in the corner. He finally steps forward a bit, moving closer to the bed. He straightens his unusually thin shoulders before making direct eye contact with my Queen. He stares at her with so much sincere apology that I almost want to smack the look from off his face. He had better not think for one instant that I am going to let this go. HE STRUCK HER!

But I cannot help wondering....Why?

"The Queen came to my cell in aims of convincing me to eat. She had learned that I was attempting to starve myself to death due to my deep depression," he finally speaks. His voice is low and shaky. He sounds nervous and unsure, but his shoulders remain erect in their sure form.

"She attempted to talk me out of such an act, to which I instantly became mad with anger. In my foolish fit of rage, I lashed out at her....." His voice chokes off at the end. You rotten bastard....HOW COULD YOU!? SHE WAS ONLY TRYING TO HELP YOU!

"My words deeply upset her, but I am more than ashamed to say that it was my striking blow that sent her over the edge." His shoulders droop as he says this, sending for me to revel in his pain. You should feel disgusted with yourself. You are nothing but a petty excuse for a man. I cannot believe that we were actually willing to help you again. And this is the thanks that we get!