Ruling Two Worlds

( His point of view )

I am completely frozen solid as his words wash over me. What?! He is offering the Throne to Christine and myself?!

My Beloved tenses beneath my touch, gasping before she covers her mouth with the hand that is not clinging to me.

"What?" she chokes.

"But, Father," I intercede. "What of Thor? I assumed that he was to be your heir. Is that still not your plan?" He chuckles at my questions.

"I have thought this through very carefully, Loki. Thor has already agreed to this, if you are willing to accept it. He has more than willingly agreed to step aside and allow you to be Asgard's new King upon the time of my passing." I feel as though my chest is being trampled by wild horses. My mind is spinning out of control. I do not even know how to begin processing this. Me! King of Asgard! But then.....what of Medina? I have already sworn my allegiance to my new home. I cannot back away from such a promise. Nor do I wish to. I love Medina, almost as much as I love Christine. I could never imagine leaving it all behind to come here and rule. Not after all that I have been through. Not after coming to love my new world so dearly.

"Father, I truly appreciate this offer far more than I could ever put into words. But," I pause, peaking over at my beloved from the corner of my eye. She is gaping in his direction, utterly stunned.

"I have already sworn to take the throne of Medina upon marrying Christine, and I do not wish to break my oath to her nor to our people. They have all been so welcoming, accepting me as one of their own from the very start. I could never abandon their trust or good faith. And I certainly cannot possibly rule two Kingdoms at once." His smile fades slightly, causing my stomach to knot. Shit.....Have I upset him? Have I disappointed him?

"Is this your answer?" he asks, eyeing me curiously. I take in a deep breath, squaring my shoulders before taking a confident step forward.

"Unless Christine agrees to accept your offer, then I cannot be Asgard's King. For if she wishes to remain in Medina, then that is where I shall remain as well. Wherever she goes, then I will follow." I tug at her hand, gently willing her to move up to stand at my side once again. I look over at her, smiling at the brilliant green sparkles that encrust themselves in her eyes.

"I will never leave her side again, Father. Without her, no world is worth living in, let alone ruling." Her shocked expression vanishes instantly upon hearing my confession. She turns to look up at me, smiling so beautifully that it takes my breath away.

"Then, we leave it up to her," Father replies solemnly. My beloved turns to look at him, smiling in the most proud manner.

"Odin, I cannot begin to express my deepest appreciation and honor from your offer. I am more than deeply humbled by your sincerest confidence in us both, and it would be a dream come true to be Queen of such a glorious and outstanding realm. But, I have a home and a purpose in Medina that no other world can replace. I am bound to my world as I am bound to my bloodline and to your son. I could never betray my people, not after all that we have been through together. We are all of us very closely knit, you see. Despite the fact that my people are but common villagers, they are my family. And I love each and everyone of them most dearly." She takes in another breath, tightening her hand around mine. I offer her a light squeeze, marveling at her courage and will to stand up for her home. She is truly a miracle. So strong. So unbelievably brave.....

"I do hope that you understand. I am not rejecting you for spite or with ill intent. I just could never live with myself if I were to come live here whilst leaving my people alone without me." I finally force my eyes to leave her face, turning to gaze at my Father. He is staring at her in a strange sort of way. Almost as if he is befuddled by her reply. We stand in an awkward silence for a lingering moment in time. I am beginning to sweat beneath his odd stare.