Rage

(His point of view)

I lie her shattered body down on the floor. I want to look away, but I cannot tear my eyes away from this ghastly sight. This most tormented, broken, helpless woman in front of me. My dark angel....the only woman that has ever completely held my fragile heart in her hands....

Dead.

She is dead.

I feel fire burning within my chest, raging forth from some unknown precipice. It plummets through me, scorching every single living cell within my body. My hands are shaking like mad, clenching into fists as I bang them against the floor at my sides. I am on the brink of losing all manners of self control as my rage, my turmoil; my ungodly grief all rise to the surface. My grip on my sanity is teetering along with them. These stabbing emotions erupt from the peak, spewing out like molten lava from a mountain top.

I scream. I cannot stop. I let forth a surge of crippling power that sends my cloak flying wildly behind me. The surrounding walls groan against the strength of my anger, trembling as they crack beneath the pressure. This palace is liable to collapse on top of me, but I do not care anymore.

I do not care. The one thing that ever truly meant anything to me is gone. She is gone, and this time, she is not coming back. She had fought so hard, cheated death far too many times. But this time, it is really over. She is gone because I failed her.

I promised that I would never let anything happen to her. I swore that nothing would come in between us, that nothing would tear us apart. And yet, I managed to somehow always let her down. Whether by my idiotic doubt, my lashes of anger, or my failure to keep her from that demon's wrath.

I have failed her. And now, because of me, she is dead......

She is dead!

I roar with anger, falling back against the nearby wall. I cannot take my eyes away from her as much as I want to. This horrific image will forever be seared into my memory. I will have to live with this nightmare every day for the rest of my life.

Suddenly, I feel a hand touch my shoulder. My eyes fly up, only to find him hovering over me. I jump to my feet, grabbing him by the throat and pin him against the wall.

"WHY DID YOU NOT SAVE HER?! WHY DID YOU NOT TRY TO HELP HER?!" I hoel. He fights against my merciless hold, gasping for air.

"Pl....please...Brother..."

I tighten my hold, squeezing the life out of his neck. He releases my hands before letting one of them fall down, desperately pointing towards something. As my eyes follow his gesture, I once again see the overly large, white cloth bandage that is wrapped around his torso. I release him, causing him to fall his knees, struggling to breathe.

"What...happened?!" I snarl, moving to tower over him. He staggers to his feet, falling back against the support of the wall.

"I tried...to...help her, Loki." He pauses for a moment, straightening his shoulders as he winces from his discomfort. He clutches at his bandaged wound before bringing his eyes back up to meet with my own.

"She was being fed next to nothing. Helblindi made sure of this in order to keep her weak so that she could not unleash her power on him like she had before." I snarl at his response, feeling my Jotun blood freezing every drop of my blood.

"But I snuck out every night at midnight in between the guards' shifts and brought her what little food that I could scavenge." I take a step towards him, growling as my angry fire only blazes hungrier, yearning to destroy any and everything in its path.