Limit

(His point of view)

I burst through the doors before hurriedly making for our bed. I lay her down as carefully as possible as he moves around to the other side. He props her pillows up so that she can lean back against them in a more comfortable position. She groans in afflictive pain as she attempts to settle in. I sit by her side, reaching for her hand and bringing it to rest in my lap.

"It is alright, my Love. Link has gone to fetch Branye and the doctor. They should be here any minute." I make an extra effort to keep my voice steady and calm. Even though, on the inside, I am a panicking mess. She nods almost awkwardly before closing her eyes. I watch as she takes in several slow breaths, inhaling through her nose and out through her mouth. She seems to be focusing on them so intently that I decide not to speak to her for a time. I do not wish to interrupt her concentration on any attempt to ease her own pain. So I vouch for sitting in silence, allowing her to squeeze my hand as she needs to. I have to stay strong for her. I have to be her rock in this moment, as she has been mine so many times before....

I cannot take my eyes away from hers as they remain so tightly shut. Her once neatly flawless hair hangs down rather messily all around her face, shrouding out almost all but the very center of her nose and some of her right eye. Her brow is furrowed in immense distress, and as I study her expression further, I notice that she has broken out in a sweat. No doubt from her arduous strain.

My heart is pounding so very urgently. I almost feel sick to my stomach from the sudden thought that she is possibly going into early labor. It is far too soon. She has only just entered into her eighth month! It cannot be time already! Even IF the baby is a substantial amount larger. It must remain within her womb for the proper nine months as all other infants do. At least, that is what Dr. Lomberan has stated on more than one occasion.

My troubled thoughts are distracted as I hear faint footsteps moving over in the direction of the fireplace. I turn just barely enough to see that Daegan has made his way over to sit in one of the sofa chairs just in front of its open hearth. As he does so, he leans forward, resting his elbows over his knees. His head hangs droopily towards the floor. I can hear his shallow breathing even from here. It sounds raspy and strained. Almost as strained as my own beloved's. But I know that his is most definitely not from possible labor pains.

That is when I finally decide to take advantage of this moment in time whilst we wait for Link to bring Branye and the doctor. I still have not received any answers as to what really happened, and I do not wish to ask her any questions. She is already struggling so very direly, barely even able to keep her composure.

"Daegan," I say quietly. His head lifts up in immediate response before his haunting eyes turn to face me. Gods, he looks awful. So weak and frail. Nothing like the once strong and vibrant man I knew only but a few months ago. I dare to venture that he has gone for more than just two days without eating or drinking. From his haggard appearance, he could easily go for a lifeless corpse.

"Come here, please," I say, nodding for him to move closer to the bed. He hesitates only for a moment before standing and making for the bedside once again. As he does, I return my eyes to her face. Her eyes remain closed. She still looks completely tortured, but her breathing seems to have helped a slight bit. She is no longer grimacing in such a disturbing manner.

I feel the shadow of his presence as he has finally made his way to the other side of the bed.

"Sit," I command in a stern but amiable tone. He obeys, moving to do as I ask. The bed shifts only slightly beneath his weight. He does not look at me at first, as his eyes linger on her face. It immediately quirks at my insides, but I decide that now is not the time to lash out at him for this. I want answers.