Free

(Her point of view)

I see nothing but blackness as I give in to the pain. There is nothing for me to hold onto. No one to offer me comfort. Not a single whisper of wind to speak words of peace. My mind is void of all emotion. Numb by the excruciating disaster that has mercilessly pounded itself into every groove of my brain.

I feel myself leaving the restraints of my battered and broken shell, as I float up into the frigid air shrouded in darkness. I can feel the pressing weight of my body calling from below for me to come back to it, crying out that I have abandoned its weary state. But my spirit continues moving onward, never looking back. I can only barely recognize my own self as I allow my eyes to look down my transforming figure. I am no longer naked, covered in bloody gashes or ugly, purple bruises. No. I am now completely cleared of a single injury or drop of blood. I am miraculously covered in a gorgeous, deep sea blue fabric. Silk, maybe? Or satin.... It drapes over my shoulders and down my arms all the way to my wrists, softly wrapping itself around my waist, covering me in its smooth caress. I gawk as it forms to my body, perfectly fitting to my every curve. It continues to spread, flowing down way past my bare feet as its train whips in the cold air beneath me. My skin seems to glow with a fluorescent hue in its new form, somehow causing the blue of my new gown to shimmer against my olive tone. I reach up and touch my face, smiling in awe as I can no longer feel cuts and scrapes. My fingertips find my eyes. They are no longer swollen and sore to the touch. My lips are no longer rough and cracked. They are smooth and soft as velvet. I know now that I must be dead. For there could be no other explanation for my newly healed state.

As I continue north through the looming black clouds, my pain only fades all the more. Its engorging weight lifts, leaving in its wake a wonderful feather lightness. I finally lift my eyes from my body, gazing upward. I cut through the thickened ebony layer of clouds until I approach the other side, finding the air clear and clean. The blanket of night is waning as I quickly see a faint orange line of paint hugging the edge of the horizon. I avert my eyes in all directions, staring in awe at the beauty of the millions of twinkling stars. As I do, a small cluster of sparkling specks of light catch my eye. It stands out easily enough against the ocean of its sibling stars that lovingly surround it. Its shimmering shape begins to transform, separating itself, changing colors. I cannot help but gasp as I begin floating towards it without even realizing that I am doing so. As I move, I swiftly notice that the closer I get to the skyline, it only grows larger. And as I narrow my eyes, I finally make out that is has, in fact, separated into exactly three figures that quickly take the form of actual beings. They seem to be approaching much faster than I had originally projected. However, I am not afraid of them, for I sense no evil in their rapidly oncoming arrival.

I am distracted from their mysterious forms as yet another light begins looming overhead, just slightly to my right.

I lift my eyes, finding myself almost to what I assume must be the very edge of the Jotun realm. I feel a strange but welcoming warmth as I hover, gazing upward into the heavens. There is a beautifully haunting haze lingering just over an enormous opening of crystal walls. As I squint my eyes to see past their majesty, I feel them widen as I take in the most breath taking sight. I see white sands, beautiful florescent, blue ocean waters, and trillions of flowers in colors that I never knew existed. I faintly hear waves dancing along the giggling shoreline. I think that I can even smell the spray of the sea mixed with an entanglement of roses and petunias.

But my moment of wonderment is suddenly interrupted by a creeping dullness. It begins to crawl its way into some deep crevice of my chest. I shake my head at myself for allowing it to enter. Despite being in the presence of such a marvelous sight, I cannot ignore the odd, empty feeling that remains lingering, like some unknown secret that I should be fully aware of. A lost and forgotten dream that renders such importance. I wince as I bring my hands up to rest over my breast bone. It suddenly feels as if my heart were no longer with me, as though there is only a gaping hole that rests in its place. Am I truly supposed to feel this way even in such a heavenly place?