A Twist

(His point of view)

I finally release my brother's face. The torturing flames of my rage lick relentlessly at my neck. As I stand, I turn to glower at the demon in front of me. He is wearing a sickening grimace that only fuels my deafening anger all the more. He killed his own brother and shows not a single sign of remorse. He is truly a demon. A demon unlike any I have ever encountered.

"Ignorant fool," he snarls. "He never was one for war and battle any ways. I should have known that he would abandon me." I feel Link move up next to me as well as Daegan. They are both panting, but are holding their weapons out in front of them. Ready for another go. Thor's hammer catches my eye as he inches a few steps closer to Helblindi, glaring at him in pure hatred. Do not attack him, Thor. Leave that for me.

"I must commend you on summoning such an army, Brother. Your numbers were far greater than we predicted." He shifts in his stance as his spear of ice grows.

"But alas, it has not brought you much aid. See how many of your warriors' bodies litter our field." He waves his hand over the land, motioning for me to look. I do so, allowing my eyes to take in this horrific sight. So many lost lives. So many sacrifices. From Jotun, Asgardian and Medinian beings alike. So much pain. So much death.

My eyes continue to scan. As they come to the edge of the field, I see a spear waving in the air. It is so far away that I can barely make out who it is that is holding it. I strain my eyes, aiming to see. And as I do, I can faintly make out Merek's red hair. He is waving his weapon as though he is trying to tell me something. But I am far too distant to have any chance of knowing what it is. I instantly will myself to create a likeness without being noticed, sending it flying over in Merek's direction.

Once I am standing at his side, I smile at what I see......

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Surely you can see that you have no other choice but to surrender. Tis madness to carry on in this manner, Loki." He stares at me only for a moment before allowing his eyes to move back and forth from Daegan, Link, and Thor.

"Why not just give up this pointless charade and join me? Your remaining men may dwell here and live under your rule. You can still change this outcome. It does not have to end so horribly." I almost gasp at his words. Is he truly so bent on seeing our father's work completed that he is willing to offer me another chance at being King?

I hang my head before looking back over to the massacre in front of me. There can be no other way to satisfy his head strong plan. Must I truly accept this as to keep Medina from being burned? If I do not, he will surely kill us all and do only as Link had said. He will take his army and head straight to our home and destroy it. But if I accept his offer, will he be willing to pardon our home from extinction?

"And if I accept, what becomes of Medina? What becomes of my people? Will you return there and burn it to ash?"

"Loki!" I hear Link's stunned whisper. "You CANNOT be serious!" I hold up a hand, shushing him. Helblindi chuckles at my response as his eyes widen.

"You will be King, Loki. If you order for Medina to stay safe, then it will remain that way. No harm will come to your new home as long as you wish it." I narrow my eyes at him. Why is he suddenly being so willing to cooperate? There must be something else that he is hiding. Some sick twist in his plan.

My eyes vaguely glance back over towards Merek's direction. They have yet to make their move..... They need more time. Perhaps I can use this sudden moment of Helblindi's distraction to their advantage.