Symbol of Loyalty

(His point of view)

We finally make it up to the main floor of the palace. There isn't a soul in sight, but judging by the hideous commotion outside, I sense that the ongoing battle is close by. I take the lead, running ahead of Byleistr until we come to the main entrance of the castle. As soon as we do, I am impressed to find that our men have pushed the Jotuns all but a hundred yards away from where I stand.

The noise is atrocious. All out riotous war has indeed begun. Weapons clashing, men and monster alike roaring in brutal blood lust as they battle on. I hesitate at the doors only a few moments longer as I scan the bloody battlefield before me. Much to my dismay, I do not see Helblindi, nor do I see Link or Daegan. However, I do spot my likeness fighting alongside Thor. It is incredible to see from afar what we look like battling together. Thankfully, mine and Byleistr's approach has yet to be noticed so I quickly decide to take advantage of this.

"Follow me," I whisper, tugging at my brother's arm. I immediately conceal us both with Medinian warrior disguises before we head left and around to the side of the open field. I motion for him to stay as low to the ground as possible, whilst holding his shield up over his shoulder for protection. We make it to just the right spot behind an enormous rock of ice, thankfully without being noticed.

"What's your play?" He asks whilst leaning in closer to my ear. I barely peak around the concealing rock of ice, studying the layout. Our men continue to fight, but it seems that they are beginning to grow weary. I hastily survey their armor. There seem to be no Asgardians. Perfect! The other half of our army has not even begun to fight! The giants still have yet to be stunned by our heightened numbers.

I continue to gaze over the battle until my eyes fall upon my Asgardian brother. I watch in sudden horror as he is being attacked by three giants at once whilst my likeness is taking on two more just beside him. I spot Merek and Zane nearby battling a frosted troll of some sort. Its height is staggering, completely enormous. Well over twelve feet tall or more. Why has Daegan not ordered for the others to charge?! What is he waiting for?! And what of the archers? I see no arrows in the bodies of our enemies. Has he not ordered them to fire?

I get the sudden feeling that something has gone terribly wrong. I know in that instant that I must find Link and Daegan, as the both of them are still nowhere to be seen. Where could they be? Surely they did not linger with the Asgardian lot. Our plan was for them to accompany the first charge along with Thor and myself. Where are they?!

I know I must search for them before I can do anything else. Perhaps they went into the palace searching for me. Or perhaps.......

I get a sickened feeling deep in the pit of my stomach. SURELY they did not go to seek out Helblindi alone. I would have thought that they would have waited until he came to them. Out in the open, where all could see. Something is telling me that the latter is what must have occurred. They immediately went off, seeking my demon brother. They aim to kill him as soon as possible. I MUST find them. I must make sure that they are alright...

"I must get to Link and tell him what has happened. Then, I shall go for Helblindi. However, I strongly feel that if I find one, I shall find the other."

"So, I'm coming with you, then," he states firmly.

"No, you stay here and fight with Thor. He may need you."

"But, Loki. He will try to kill me!" He retaliates in a strained tone. "He does not trust me as you do!"

I grab his shoulder, forcing him to square his shoulders. I ponder for a moment what I can do to somehow let Thor know that Byleistr is on our side. Think, Loki. THINK!

I rack my brain for answers, racing over ideas. I am staring at his chest, laden in Medinian armor. A flicker of light catches my eye as I notice my locket's reflection in its face. I instantly reach up and unclasp it from around my neck. I already feel the painful absence as its tiny weight has left my body.

"Take this, Byleistr. Put it on. When you see Thor, show this to him. Tell him that the future Queen has fallen and that the man worthy of Adrielle's blessing has granted you leniency." He hesitates, looking at me in question.

"Please, Brother.  You must trust me."  He shakes his head.

"This is mad, Loki."

I find myself snickering as he finally takes my most precious possession from my hand and fastens it around his neck. Madness has truly become an ironically frequent occurrence in my life as of late....

"I will go and find Link and Daegan," I state. "I will bring them back here in the middle. We will plan our next move from there." He nods, seeming a little shaken and unsure.

"Byleistr, listen to me. You must stay focused. Insecurity is the loudest of all traits in war. You must be fearless. That is what this locket means." I bring my hand up and grasp it.

"She gave this to me in hopes that it would eradicate my fear of hopelessness. You must be free from fear. Only then shall you be a threat." He reaches up and grasps it from my hand before looking down at its silver face. He does not speak, but finally brings his eyes up to me, nodding more confidently. I offer him one last smile before allowing his Medinian disguise to dissolve.

"Go!" I demand in a low snarl. He crouches lower before moving over to the other side of the rock. A long sword of ice forms at the tip of his right hand before he halts. I see him eye his surroundings only for a moment before making his way out onto the battlefield. I linger for only a moment to make sure that he safely comes within close range. I take a step closer around the shielding rock. I watch as Thor makes eye contact with Byleistr. He immediately lifts his hammer, aiming to plunder straight through him. Without thinking, I lift my hand and send my faint green light of energy in his direction. Within seconds, Thor's body freezes as my power holds him in place, unable to take another step. He bellows in anger, fighting my hold all the more. I can hear him shouting, but I cannot make out what he is saying over the commotion of the clashing weapons surrounding them. I take a small step even closer, allowing my Jotun form to return. I will my likeness to move over to Byleistr's side, putting an arm upon his shoulder. Even from this distance, I can see Thor's eyes widen in shock. I know that I need to go and seek out my fellow leaders, but I have to make sure that Byleistr stays safe.

I watch, staying perfectly still, as my youngest brother reaches for the locket and lifts it up into the air between them. He chances a few small steps closer to Thor's writhing figure. My likeness is distracted by an oncoming giant and turns to fight it off easily. I see Thor finally ceasing to struggle as he eyes the trinket in Byleistr's hands. Eventually, he stops fighting against my hold all together. I see a clear look of utter terror cross over his face. He must have told him......of......her......

I close my eyes. I already feel more heated tears threatening to form just from this thought. She is gone......

My rage takes over my impulses. I cannot stay here any longer. I have to find Link and Daegan. I have to find Helblindi. I have to kill him.

I linger only long enough to witness Thor nodding to him, thus leaving me feeling more comforted that my youngest brother is safe for the time being. With that, I instantly transport myself to the other side of the field. From there, I quickly find a secluded nearby area of piled up rocks and crouch behind them, remaining concealed. I have no idea where to start looking, but the upsetting feeling in my gut tells me that I must make haste.

I turn my head in all directions, honing in on my senses to feel for a sudden rise in body energy. A loud ruckus distracts my concentration as I turn my head back towards the palace. And there at the foot of the main entrance steps, I easily make out Daegan. His sword is clutched tightly out in front of his body. Link is at his side, sword raised in the air as though he is about to strike. And there....towering in front of them is Helblindi. Roaring and wailing in hallow detination as he charges them with spears of ice.