Chapter 93

Things were not going okay.

Mirio and Nighteye had gotten... greatly injured, leaving Izuku to fight Overhaul on his own. I had been trying to find a way out of this hell hole, but there's been zero sight of freedom. At this point, Eri and I were hidden behind one of the many spikes, both flinching whenever there was a loud bang.

"Sage." The little girl whimpered. "I'm scared."

"I know, honey." I nodded, petting her silver hair. "I am too. But, you know what makes a great hero?"

"What?"

"Doing what makes you scared, even when you're terrified."

Eri stared up at me with wide eyes before turning them behind me. With grim determination, Eri struggled out of my arms, grunting as she hit the ground.

"Eri, stop!" I hissed, struggling to my feet as the girl wandered toward the very danger I had been trying to protect her from.

"Wait." She stepped into view of the others, any talk between them stopping. "It's not... I don't want this!"

"Go back! You need to stay with Sage, Eri!" Izuku shouted.

"Eri." I heard Chisaki grumble, seeing him talk via a mouth in his right hand. "Look at him, injured and alone. No more pro's to help. You don't really think he can defeat me, do you?"

"No, I don't." She tilted her head down, my eyes widening at her words. She had no faith in my brother.

"Smart girl. So then, what do you suppose you should do?"

"I'll come back."

"Eri, no..." I reached out, my hand grabbing air as she walked ahead.

"But if I do," The little girl continued. "You have to let Sage go! And I want you to make them all better again!"

"Ah, yes," Overhaul lowered his grotesque hand/mouth combo. "It's so much easier to be hurt yourself than to watch while others are hurt for you, isn't it? The faint flicker of hope Sage has been giving her has been extinguished. Don't you see? You all think you're helping her, but you're really just being cruel. She doesn't want you."

"Maybe what he said is true." My brother grumbled, and I cringed as he pulled a spike out of his leg. "Maybe you think you don't want my help, but I won't let you down, Eri. I'm not letting anyone die! I'm going to save you!"

Izuku crushed the spike in his hand, goosebumps littering my skin. I had never seen my brother look so... intense. Glancing back at Eri, I struggled to my feet as I once again tried to grab her, though a giant gust of wind blew us both back. My arms instinctively wrapped around the little girl as she barreled into me, my back harshly hitting the jagged wall behind me.

Forcing my eyes open, I saw a transformed Ryuku with some villain trapped in her jaw. Uraraka and Tsu were close behind her, the pink hero shouting when she saw Nighteye and Mirio's unconscious forms.

"Take care of him. Go on!" Izuku ordered, running toward me and Eri.

Before he could get too close, the ground below Eri and I blasted up, flinging the two of us into the air. The little girl squealed as my grip on her tightened, refusing to let her out of my arms for even a moment.

"Chisaki!"

My eyes widened at my brother's yell, seeing the villain on his own platform, racing up toward Eri and me.

"You filthy heroes screwed everything up!"

"You don't touch her!" I screamed, kicking my leg out and hitting the madman's outstretched arm away, though he was able to grab my ankle with his other hand.