Chapter 24

"Hey, Dad. I'm sorry, I've gotta get to school, but I wanted to stop by before." I set my backpack down beside my chair, sat down, and held my father's hand.

"The UA Sports Festival is today! I've been training a lot with some of my friends, and I think I have a really good chance of winning. I've already asked your nurse to put it on for you when it starts so you can watch."

I stayed in silence, the only sound in the room being that of his heart monitor, keeping track of his steady heartbeats.

"Well, I've gotta head out now. Bakugo's waiting for me in the lobby. Wish us luck today! Bakugo and Izuku will definitely need it."

I practically sprinted through the halls of the hospital, thankful that it was early morning meaning there were fewer people wandering around. As soon as I saw Bakugo's spikey hair in the lobby, I rushed over, grabbed his arm, and yanked him out of his seat.

"Come on! We don't wanna be late!"

"Calm down, Witch! We've got plenty of time! Stop dragging me!"

"We've got to get to the school early so we can stretch and get ready!"

Bakugo allowed me to continue pulling him toward the train station and getting on the train to UA. While Bakugo proceed to sit in our normal spots, I stood right in front of him, too excited to sit down.

"Would you stop bouncing so much? You're gonna make the train stall or something." Bakugo grumbled.

"I can't I have so much energy right now! I'm so pumped for the festival! We're gonna annihilate the competition!"

"Tch, hell yeah, we are," Bakugo smirked, looking out the window.

My own smile widened when his leg bumbled mine, but he didn't pull away.

~~

"Aw, man. I was totally hoping I could wear my costume." Mina complained as all of us sat around the Class 1-A Waiting Room.

"At least everyone'll be in uniforms. That'll keep things fair, right?" Ojiro said as he stretched his arms.

"I wonder what they have in store for us in the first round." Sato thought aloud.

"No matter what they've prepared, we must persevere."

"Right." Shoji agreed with Tokoyami's words.

"Everyone, get your game faces on! We're entering the arena soon!" Iida yelled out, having checked the time for me.

"Midoriya." My head shot towards Todoroki, who was approaching my brother.

"Hey, Todoroki. What's up?"

"From an objective standpoint, I think it's fairly clear that I'm stronger than you." I let out a breathy laugh as my eyes widened at my best friend's words.

"Uh– Um, yeah." Izuku sadly agreed.

"However, you've got All Might in your corner, helping you out. I'm not here to pry about what's going on between you two. But know that I will beat you."

"Woah. What's with all these declarations of war lately?" Kaminari asked as Kirishima walked over to Todoroki, placing his hand on Shoto's shoulder.

"Yeah, what's the big deal? Why are you pickin' a fight all of a sudden? And right before we get started."

"We're not here to be each other's friends." Todo shrugged Kiri's hand off, turning to walk away. "Don't forget. This isn't a team effort."

"Wait a sec, Todoroki." Izuku started, causing the half-and-half boy to stop. "I don't know what's going through your head, or why you think you'd need to tell me that you'll beat me. And yeah, of course you're better than me. In fact, you probably have way more potential than just about anyone in the hero course. That's why you got in so easily."