80.snowmobile

The neighbors felt as if they had encountered a savior. Even those who had become numb to despair and were wrapped in blankets at home waiting to die had a glimmer of hope in their eyes.

"Zhang Yi, can you really go out and bring back supplies? If that's the case, we can survive!"

"Even though the blizzard has sealed the city, we've produced so many goods in our society over the past few decades. It should be enough for us to survive!"

"Zhang Yi, I'm truly... so moved!"

"We treated you so poorly initially, but you're still..."

Some people choked up with tears.

Originally, many of their family members had been killed by Zhang Yi. Yet, at this moment, their hatred for him seemed to have vanished, and they only felt gratitude.

Zhang Yi spoke solemnly, "Since I've become the building leader, I must be responsible for every single person."

"And my supplies at home are running out. Going out to find supplies is the only way for us to survive."

With these words, the homeowners felt more reassured.

In a post-apocalyptic world, people regarded your good deeds as hypocritical, but if your actions benefited yourself as well, they considered it normal. After all, nearly a month had passed since the apocalypse had arrived, and many had starved in their homes.

Therefore, they believed that even if Zhang Yi had hoarded many supplies at home, they would eventually run out. Moreover, with just two people in his family now, the supplies were depleting even faster.

The neighbors were so grateful to Zhang Yi that they praised him as if he were a deity.

Even Zhou Ker felt moved and said with a smile, "If you were to establish a cult at this time, you could become the founder!"

In times of disaster, religion often grew rapidly because people needed a spiritual refuge.

Zhang Yi smiled gently, "There's no need to complicate things with a group of cannon fodder. I only need to offer a moldy bun, and they'll regard me as closer than their own fathers."

Zhou Ker asked curiously, "But are you really going out?"

Her eyes revealed a touch of worry and guilt.

Zhang Yi understood that she genuinely believed he had run out of supplies and that she might be a burden to him.

He pinched her rosy cheek and smiled with his eyes half-closed. "Don't worry; the supplies at home are enough to support you. I'm just looking for an opportunity to go out and see what's happening outside."

Under normal circumstances, Zhang Yi wouldn't dare to go out for fear of being ambushed by his insane neighbors. But now, he had become the hope for everyone's survival, so they naturally wouldn't attack him.

Zhou Ker nodded, "Then I'll go with you!"

She knew that Zhang Yi didn't fully trust her, so she proactively suggested accompanying him.

Zhang Yi looked at her with deep and resolute eyes and shook his head slowly.

"We're in this kind of relationship now; do you think I'd still doubt you?"

"Women should stay at home and wait for their men to return."

Zhang Yi slowly got up.

Zhou Ker's eyes filled with a moved expression.

However, this feeling of being moved didn't last long because Zhang Yi soon collected the remaining food and coal in the house into his space.

"I trust you one hundred percent!"

Zhang Yi said with a big grin.

Zhou Ker: "..."

She had a look of speechless disbelief on her face. She had just been touched by Zhang Yi, only to see him immediately return to his usual self.

Ignoring Zhou Ker's forlorn expression, Zhang Yi went back to his room to change clothes.

This was the first time Zhang Yi had chosen to leave the residential complex after the apocalypse. With the city buried under heavy snow and no signs of life outside, the danger was not as high as it could be.

However, out of caution, Zhang Yi put on a layer of a small cowhide jacket. This item was so durable that it could withstand knife attacks.

After careful consideration, he found two frying pans in his dimensional space, placing one in front of him and one behind him. This added a layer of protection, making it difficult for a potential attacker to strike any vital areas.

Lastly, he put on his winter gear. Although it made him look bulky, it gave him a sense of security.

Zhang Yi took out a meter-long pry bar and tested it in his hand. In a real fight, such a hefty pry bar was more effective than a machete. A cut from a knife wouldn't immediately incapacitate someone, but a hit from this bar would.

He loaded his pistol magazine and put it in his pocket. Fully equipped, he left his apartment.

The temperature outside was freezing. Even with professional-grade mountaineering attire from the national team, he still felt a slight chill. This kind of cold wouldn't affect Zhang Yi, though. After some physical activity, he would warm up.

Holding the pry bar in both hands, Zhang Yi descended the stairs at a deliberate pace. Before he left, he carefully observed the surroundings. Vigilance without any major incidents.

There was no trouble along the way since there were very few people who dared to take on someone like Zhang Yi.

Zhang Yi arrived on the fourth floor. Due to the actions of the Tianshi Gang and others, most of the residents had moved to higher floors, and there were no longer any occupants on the first ten floors.

Zhang Yi pushed the door open and entered the floor. Inside, it was in chaos. The windows had been smashed, and even the weak security bars had been dismantled to create a large hole. The wind howled through the gap.

Zhang Yi carefully climbed out through this hole.

His feet landed on the ground, and the snow only came up to his knees. However, the accumulating snow had started to harden, so he didn't sink in completely.

Walking on this snow-covered terrain was challenging. Zhang Yi surveyed his surroundings after looking up. The massive Yue Lu residential complex was silent, with only the sound of the wind in the air.

He didn't notice any signs of people watching him.

Zhang Yi took out a snowmobile from his dimensional space. He had already filled it with gas before coming. Operating this vehicle was relatively simple. After some thought and reviewing the instructions, he figured out how to operate it.

He mounted the snowmobile, turned the key, and the engine roared to life.

Zhang Yi rode the snowmobile and headed towards the outside of the residential complex. As he left, he felt that some people were watching him through the windows.

This was not surprising. After all, there were hardly any human beings left outside, and the sound of the snowmobile was quite loud.

"It seems that more people will be tempted by this snowmobile in the future," Zhang Yi said with a sly smile. He wasn't afraid of revealing the snowmobile's existence. There were too many people trying to take advantage of him. Moreover, in the current situation, people were willing to kill for a single piece of biscuit.

Using Zhang Yi's own words, he had too many debts to worry about.

The heavy snow had buried many low buildings, and the streets were no longer visible. However, having lived in this area for over twenty years, Zhang Yi could roughly determine his direction by the landmark high-rise buildings.

So, getting lost was not a problem for him.