63.Infect

Zhang Yi's ostentatious display of wealth made the entire building's owners' hearts bleed with envy!

Now, the wastewater collected in Zhang Yi's home seemed like an exquisite delicacy to them!

Yet, Zhang Yi didn't share it with them!

In the homes of Sun Zhichao and the others:

Due to their failed attempt to raid Zhang Yi's home, their hopes of obtaining antibiotics were dashed.

Just after two days, the aftermath began to manifest. The three injured individuals felt an intense itching around their wounds. The areas around their bandages had peculiar bloodstains with abnormal yellowing.

Sun Zhichao couldn't help himself and peeled back his gauze to check the situation. The result was horrifying – his wound had already begun to fester!

A nauseating stench engulfed the room, resembling the odor of a decaying animal's carcass.

"No, no, no! I don't want to die!" Sun Zhichao cried uncontrollably, with tears and snot flowing.

Upon witnessing this scene, both Zhou Ker and Ge Jialiang were overcome with despair.

They uncovered their own bandaged wounds and prayed that they wouldn't become infected. Unfortunately, their ideal outcome didn't match the cruel reality.

While minor abrasions might have had a chance to heal on their own, their injuries were piercing wounds, penetrated deeply by rusty crossbow bolts. Coupled with the infection and a lack of sufficient nutrition and medicine, the deterioration of their wounds became inevitable.

The agony they experienced led to them screaming and behaving as though they were driven mad.

Inside the room, Fang Yuqing trembled with fear. She held her phone and messaged Zhang Yi:

"Brother Zhang Yi, they've all gone insane, and I'm so scared! Can you come and rescue me, Brother?"

"After Zhou Ker goes over, she will definitely obey. Whatever you ask her to do, she'll do."

After a while, Zhang Yi replied:

"Zhou Ker, it hurts me to see you like this! But I can't leave; Chen Zhenghao is next door."

"Why don't you come over? But be careful on the way; don't let them catch you. My neighbors next door were all killed by them yesterday. You're so delicate; you might be their target."

Zhang Yi on the other side was full of mockery. Facing Fang Yuqing, this white lotus, his only thought was to torture her using every means possible, making her die in pain and despair.

Sure enough, upon hearing that Chen Zhenghao was next to Zhang Yi, Fang Yuqing appeared conflicted.

Chen Zhenghao had killed too many people; she didn't have the courage to take the risk.

"Brother Zhang Yi, I'm so scared! Can you come and get me? You have weapons, right?"

Zhang Yi inwardly cursed her.

You ingrate! You're really testing my patience, asking me to come to you?

"I wanted to do that, but I was scared the past few days, and I'm feeling a bit unwell."

"Let's just say this for now; I'm a bit tired. Goodbye!"

Listening to the screams outside her door, Fang Yuqing's face turned pale. However, when she messaged Zhang Yi again, he no longer responded.

Over the next few days, Zhang Yi's life remained comfortable and affluent. Without the need to go to work, he could sleep and wake up whenever he pleased. He didn't have to toil for a living or cater to anyone's whims.

If anyone dared to upset him, he would simply fight back and enjoy life to the fullest.

Next door, Chen Zhenghao pondered daily how to get rid of Zhang Yi and seize his property. However, for several days, Zhang Yi hadn't been seen outside. As long as Zhang Yi didn't emerge, Chen Zhenghao had no opportunity to deal with him. Ironically, due to the bounty on Zhang Yi, he was the one living in constant fear. He even distrusted his own henchmen, clutching a gun as he slept.

Soon, his nerves began to fray. After careful thought, Chen Zhenghao finally decided on his next course of action.

Zhang Yi had been using surveillance to monitor the entire building. He saw that Chen Zhenghao appeared to be planning something. Gradually, people began to enter Chen Zhenghao's home. These individuals were young and strong, living alone.

Some came voluntarily, while others were forced at gunpoint by Chen Zhenghao.

Gradually, Chen Zhenghao expanded his group to ten people, more than before.

Zhang Yi quickly understood.

"He's scared and is trying to recruit a group of people to avoid being killed, allowing them to collect the reward from me."

However, in Zhang Yi's view, this was nothing more than a desperate attempt.

Zhang Yi had killed more than forty people in the building. With roughly seventy residents left, the majority of households had exhausted their supplies. Thus, human beings had become the only source of sustenance.

Chen Zhenghao had recruited a group of henchmen to embark on a spree of massacres against others.

This also meant that Chen Zhenghao needed to provide sustenance for ten people. Even in self-inflicted carnage, this could not be sustained for long.

Furthermore, everyone had their own agendas.

Chen Zhenghao, the cripple, barely maintained his power with a single gun. However, his gun likely had very few bullets left.

Zhang Yi messaged Zhou Ker to inquire about the situation at Chen Zhenghao's place.

After a long delay, Zhou Ker replied to Zhang Yi's message.

"Chen Zhenghao and his gang have gone mad. They've already run out of food and have started eating people! I haven't had anything to eat for two days and feel like I'm starving to death."

Zhang Yi wasn't surprised by this revelation. If he were on the brink of starvation, he might choose death over eating people too. Of course, with Zhang Yi enjoying a lavish diet now, it was easier for him to entertain such thoughts. If he were ever pushed into a corner due to a lack of food, he wasn't sure what he would do.

Zhou Ker continued, "They've been going out every day these past few days, invading people's homes as soon as they find someone and killing them."

"Everyone's out of supplies, which is quite ironic. The dozens of people you killed have actually allowed others to survive for a little longer."

"But they're also facing resistance, and the survivors have banded together; there have been casualties."

After a long pause, Zhou Ker added another sentence.

"Zhang Yi, can you still save me?"

Upon seeing this message, Zhang Yi sensed the desperation in this usually aloof female doctor. It seemed like she didn't hold much hope for Zhang Yi. After all, in times like these, everyone was focused on their own survival, and there was no room to look out for others.

After thinking for a while, Zhang Yi made a decision.

Zhou Ker was still useful to him, and he couldn't let her die like this. A top-tier hospital's lead surgeon wasn't easy to come by, especially one who knew his background so well.

"You help me with something, and if it succeeds, I can let you survive."

Apocalyptic Rebirthजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें