64.It's great to be a free man

Zhang Yi could accept Zhou Ke'er, but she had to submit a pledge.

Zhang Yi's requirements were simple: be effective, non-threatening, and, most importantly, not act sanctimonious!

The first two conditions were well within Zhou Ke'er's capabilities.

However, Zhang Yi wondered whether Zhou Ke'er could be ruthless when the situation demanded it.

So, he assigned her a task.

Zhou Ke'er did not respond immediately, clearly struggling with her decision.

Zhang Yi wasn't in a hurry; time was on his side.

If Zhou Ke'er couldn't pass this test, Zhang Yi would have no qualms about giving up on her. After all, his health was relatively robust, and the likelihood of falling seriously ill was low. He wasn't inclined to venture outside, which further reduced the risk of injury. However, Zhou Ke'er's remaining time was uncertain.

...

The next day, Zhang Yi slept in until ten in the morning.

He tossed the velvet covers aside, went to the bathroom, and freshened up.

Then he changed into sportswear and started working out on the treadmill.

In this post-apocalyptic world, having a good physical condition was crucial. A strong physique would better equip him to handle dangers when they arose and reduce the risk of falling ill.

He sweated profusely while running on the treadmill for an hour before stopping.

Afterward, he took a hot shower.

While showering, Zhang Yi felt a sense of pride. It was a luxury that, in the current circumstances, few people could afford.

"Bang! Bang! Bang!"

Suddenly, there was a loud noise from outside.

Zhang Yi's eyes narrowed, and he quickly wrapped himself in a towel before stepping out.

He soon heard shouts, coming from Zhou Peng, who was outside his door, wielding two kitchen knives, furiously hacking away at it.

"Zhang Yi, get out here! You hide in your house all day long, you're nothing but a coward, a useless waste!"

Zhang Yi's lips curled into a sardonic smile. "Ah, yes, you're absolutely right."

"What's next?"

It was truly amusing to him that someone on the brink of death would attempt to provoke Zhang Yi. It appeared that Zhou Peng was the one in a hurry now.

Noticing that Zhou Peng was using his left hand to strike the door while having difficulty raising his right, Zhang Yi realized that Zhou Peng's arm had already been infected.

Upon closer inspection, he could even see the swelling on Zhou Peng's arm.

Zhang Yi approached the door, hands in his pockets, and said calmly, "Zhou Peng, the sensation of infection, isn't it unpleasant?"

"I remember when I took biology class, the teacher taught us about wound infections."

"Once tetanus bacteria from rust enter your wound, it's like maggots finding a corpse, they begin to reproduce frantically."

"Your arm wound is at least several inches deep."

"The temperature outside is cold, but your blood and flesh are warm. Bacteria are thriving in that warm environment, consuming your flesh."