57.Heavy casualties

Watching the people outside frantically discussing their strategy, Zhang Ye couldn't be bothered to aim precisely this time. They were all just neighbors with whom he had no close relationships. Killing them didn't matter much; they would either die here or die of infection in a few days.

Due to his indiscriminate firing, Zhang Ye's shooting speed had increased significantly. With one hand, he swiftly loaded a crossbow bolt and then fired directly.

"Whoosh!"

A sharp whistling sound pierced through the air, and a pitiful scream followed. A man clutched his neck, his eyes filled with terror, and he collapsed to the ground.

The crowd looked over and saw that a rusty crossbow bolt was embedded in the man's neck.

"He's armed! Be careful!"

The people around screamed in fear, then desperately tried to disperse.

But the hallway was too crowded, and there was no space to move when hundreds of people were squeezed together. Because of their panic, many of them tripped over and fell.

Zhang Ye paid them no mind. He was engrossed in his two tasks: loading and shooting. The professional-grade crossbow's power combined with the tetanus-laced arrows meant that anyone hit had almost no chance of surviving.

"Whoosh!"

"Whoosh!"

"Whoosh!"

The sharp whistling of the arrows through the air was like a deadly melody, filling everyone with dread. Screams echoed, and those struck by arrows bled profusely, some collapsing on the spot.

This made others even more fearful, and they scrambled to squeeze into the stairwell.

Some fell to the ground and were trampled on by those trying to escape.

The cries of agony were everywhere.

Chen Zhenghao, holding a gun, stood in front of the stairs, aiming at the people who wanted to flee.

"Don't be afraid! He's just one person! Everyone, go for it!"

Chen Zhenghao's cold eyes and the black muzzles of his gun deterred those attempting to escape. His intention was to use them as cannon fodder to exhaust Zhang Ye's defensive capabilities, and he would not let them escape.

Meanwhile, Sun Zhichao and the others had stayed further away, away from the arrows.

Zhang Ye had fired dozens of arrows, and in such a densely packed area, almost none had missed. This meant that dozens of people were on the brink of death.

But people's potential in desperate situations was immense.

Someone immediately spotted the shooting hole in the door and said, "There's a hole above the door where he's shooting from. We just need to block it."

Some people raised brooms and mops to block the shooting hole on the door.

Others tried to throw things into Zhang Ye's room.

Unfazed, Zhang Ye promptly closed and locked the iron door behind the shooting hole. It could only be opened from the inside, making it impregnable from the outside.

In a single move, Zhang Ye had eliminated dozens of combatants. Seeing that Zhang Ye could no longer shoot arrows, the neighbors finally regained their senses from their panic.

The scene was a mess, with many people having been shot, some more seriously than others. Three people had been hit in the neck and head, and they were lifeless.

But when the neighbors saw the rusty tetanus-laced arrows, they knew that those struck by them had little chance of survival.

Some people had lost their loved ones, and they cried and cursed Zhang Ye.

"Zhang Ye, you despicable scoundrel, you are utterly shameless!"

"Come out! If you have the guts, face me one-on-one!"

"You murderer! I'm going to confront you!"

"Zhang Ye!!! I'll kill you!"

...

But in response to their shouts, all that could be heard from inside the room was the pounding music.

"You only understand how deep love is after you've experienced it,

You only appreciate what you should cherish after losing it..."

Outside, insults and cries filled the air, while inside the room, the upbeat music continued. It was a provocation from Zhang Ye to everyone.

In fact, that was the case.

After firing dozens of crossbow bolts, Zhang Ye's hand had become slightly sore. He headed to the kitchen and grabbed a bottle of cola from the fridge, downing it with a gulp.

"Ah, refreshing!"

Zhang Ye kept an eye on the screen and continued to monitor the movements of the people outside.

As they saw that Zhang Ye's front door was impenetrable, the neighbors felt both anxious and hopeless.

"What do we do now?"

Just then, Sun Zhichao shouted, "Don't worry, everyone! I have a plan!"

All eyes turned to Sun Zhichao, who hobbled over while clutching his injured leg.

He pointed to the wall of Zhang Ye's house and said, "Their front door is made of alloy, and we can't break it. But what about this wall? It's just bricks and cement, right? I don't believe it can't be smashed!"

The people were inspired and nodded in agreement.

"You're right! Why didn't I think of that!"

"We can't break down the door, so we can break down the wall!"

"There are so many of us; it won't take long to smash this wall!"

"Ha, Zhang Ye, you scoundrel, you definitely didn't expect us to have this method!"

In the room, Zhang Ye saw that the neighbors were suddenly cheering and celebrating. He raised an eyebrow but couldn't hear what they were saying due to the loud music.

Nevertheless, Zhang Ye was not in a hurry. He intended to watch how things unfolded.

No matter how many tricks the other side had, he had more. After a month of hard work, he had created an impenetrable fortress. If they could easily break through it, he would consider himself dead!

These people had come armed with tools. They quickly formed a line and arrived at the exterior wall of Zhang Ye's house, raising their hammers and axes before vigorously attacking.

"Bang!"

A burly man exerted all his strength to strike the wall with his hammer.

Instantly, cracks appeared, and white plaster rained down.

The onlookers were overjoyed, feeling that they had found a breakthrough.

They started to hit even harder.

However, when the burly man raised his hammer for a second strike, a loud sound of metal clashing resounded.

Bang!

Simultaneously, the man let out a miserable scream, dropping his hammer to the ground.

He staggered back a few steps before falling to the ground, his hands having long, deep gashes that were bleeding profusely. The freezing cold quickly caused the blood to freeze, making it look particularly gruesome.

"What's going on?"

The people were extremely puzzled. What kind of wall could withstand the impact of a large hammer?

Someone went over, brushed away the plaster on the outside, and when they saw what was behind the wall, their jaws almost dropped.

"This...this wall is also made of steel!"

The crowd was greatly shocked, and they all gathered to see.