47.Tetanus Arrow

Indeed, some people gradually began to realize the anomaly surrounding Zhang Yi.

In this icy apocalyptic world, everyone was suffering from hunger and cold. Even those who had some reserves in their homes were living in dire straits.

But Zhang Yi was different. He enjoyed a life of plenty, complete with a fireplace installed in the southern city of Tianhai.

Add to that the sturdy security door, and it was clear he had prepared for this situation.

Zhou Peng sneered with resentment, "If that's the case, Zhang Yi is even more despicable! He clearly knew the snow disaster was coming but only thought of himself, never bothering to inform his neighbors!"

He spat vehemently on the ground.

Due to his personal vendetta with Zhang Yi, Zhou Peng never missed an opportunity to slander him.

Wang Min and the others remained silent, their brows furrowed. After all, in their shoes, they would prioritize themselves and their families, regardless of others' fates.

"The question is, what should we do next? Picking the lock won't work, so breaking down the door directly, is it feasible?" Wang Min said, looking toward Zhou Peng, Sun Zhichao, and Ge Jialiang—the few men in their group who would be the main force if they decided to force their way in.

The group whispered and discussed for a while.

Through surveillance, Zhang Yi saw them leave through the stairwell once more.

He held a pistol in his left hand and a crossbow in his right, watching them intently.

Zhang Yi could have taken action and shot two of them, but he wasn't in a hurry. His life had been too dull lately; he needed some excitement. He wanted to see how these people planned to break in. This was also preparation for dealing with more troublesome individuals in the future.

After a while, they returned, this time with a large and thick piece of wood, likely torn from a bed.

Several women held umbrellas to shield themselves from Zhang Yi's cold water attacks.

The three men hoisted the wooden beam and crashed it against the door with a loud "thud."

The sound resonated throughout the building, causing the walls to tremble.

However, Zhang Yi remained unfazed. If a 20-centimeter thick steel door could be breached, the other team would need the Hulk to accomplish it.

Zhou Peng, Sun Zhichao, and Ge Jialiang pounded the door with all their might.

Zhang Yi sat casually on his sofa, observing them as he monitored the changes in the house through a mobile app. The app, specially designed by DragonGuard Security, allowed him to monitor the entire house's movements.

He didn't let his guard down and kept his weapons steady. If he detected any signs of trouble, he would act swiftly.

The group was dumbfounded after exerting themselves for a long time. They realized that the entire building had become aware of their efforts, but the door remained as unyielding as ever.

Aside from a few white marks, there wasn't even a dent!

After five minutes, the group was thoroughly disheartened.

"How... how thick is this door?"

"Even a bank vault door isn't this sturdy!"

"What kind of house has a door like this?"

Sun Zhichao and the others were almost plunged into despair, their angry roars reflecting their frustration and hopelessness.

They were sounds of indignation and despair.

Zhang Yi smirked upon witnessing this through the surveillance, his confidence in the quality of his safe room bolstered.

"Well, it's time to teach you a lesson."

Zhang Yi stood up, holstered his pistol, and opened an iron box. Inside were 20 crossbow bolts, each intentionally rusted.

In theory, these alloy crossbow bolts should have been resistant to rust, but these 20 were intentionally rusted by Zhang Yi. Any minor skin abrasion caused by them would pose a risk of tetanus.

In this environment where medical help was scarce, tetanus wouldn't be a swift killer, but it would cause infection, leading to painful and agonizing deaths.

Zhang Yi had gained this experience from his encounter with Chen Zhenghao.

Although Chen Zhenghao had lost his leg, he had managed to survive through various methods.

But the next time he was hit by one of these rusted bolts, Zhang Yi wondered how he would survive.

A devilish grin spread across Zhang Yi's lips as he climbed up to the shooting hole.

Fang Yuqing and the others held umbrellas, unable to see what was happening below.

Zhang Yi paid them no mind and aimed at the umbrella-covered group. He fired without hesitation.

If they died, it was their luck. If they didn't, even better.

"Whoosh!"

The rusted crossbow bolt pierced through the umbrella, followed by a piercing scream.

Without waiting for them to react, Zhang Yi swiftly loaded another bolt and fired, not bothering to aim precisely as they were all standing close together.

The second bolt resulted in another anguished cry.

Zhang Yi reloaded and drew the bowstring.

Only then did the group realize what was happening, and they screamed in panic, scattering in all directions.

Zhang Yi remained composed, targeting them and firing. He deliberately aimed for non-lethal areas, focusing on arms and thighs.

Among the remaining six people, three were hit by bolts, with one person taking two.

Due to the slow loading speed of the crossbow, Zhang Yi didn't manage to shoot them again before they reached his blind spots.

Zhang Yi shrugged.

It didn't matter to him. Those guys were already dead, and they would die in extreme agony.

As for the others, Zhang Yi had plenty of time to have fun with them.

Time was on Zhang Yi's side.

Even if there was only a one in ten thousand chance of injury, Zhang Yi wouldn't take that risk.

"The consumption of crossbow bolts is a significant issue, though."

Zhang Yi furrowed his brows, considering the long term. He had initially bought 300 crossbow bolts and 300 arrows. After using them, he couldn't easily retrieve them, making him anxious, despite having many remaining. Foresight was necessary, after all.

After some thought, Zhang Yi had a sudden inspiration.

He opened the dimensional space and found what he was looking for—a storage of ball bearings used in bearings. These could also be fired from a crossbow.

Additionally, there were glass marbles, which, though less lethal than steel bolts, were quite powerful when shot from a professional crossbow.

Even though these projectiles weren't as deadly as steel bolts, they would still pose a significant threat once fired from a high-powered crossbow.

If anyone was hit by one, they would either have to amputate to survive or die in excruciating pain.

Zhang Yi grinned devilishly, satisfied.

"Relying on these things, I can eat for a lifetime!"

Zhang Yi felt comfortable with his newfound options. However, some people were in dire straits.

Seven people, including Fang Yuqing, originally planned to seize Zhang Yi's house, thinking their numbers would give them an advantage. But instead of succeeding, they lost one member and had three others struck by crossbow bolts. They were forced to retreat in a panic.

They didn't even dare to retrieve Lu Tao's body.