61.Zhou Ke'er can't stand it

The next day, Zhang Yi heard gunshots coming from the hallway.

"Bang!" "Bang!"

Two gunshots, sounding like two giant firecrackers going off.

There was no doubt that Chen Zhenghao was the one responsible.

Clearly, Zhang Yi's words from yesterday had taken effect.

In situations of extreme desperation, people's fear of death gradually diminished. Zhang Yi's promise of a week's worth of noodles was an irresistible temptation.

Zhang Yi opened the surveillance feed and witnessed the outbreak of the conflict. Two men lay on the ground, holding wrenches and kitchen knives, their blood staining the hallway.

However, Chen Zhenghao didn't look much better. He leaned against the wall, holding a gun, with an anxious look on his face. While they planned to intercept those who came for water, others could seize the opportunity to counterattack.

Chen Zhenghao ordered his men to drag away the two corpses and quickly returned to his apartment, clutching the pistol tightly. Now, it was his last resort.

The two bodies were dragged into their apartment, and Chen Zhenghao signaled his men to take the corpses into the kitchen.

Soon, the kitchen echoed with the sound of chopping and cutting.

Chen Zhenghao sat on a cold sofa, finding little comfort in the warmth it offered.

After returning home yesterday, he saw the messages in the group chat, learning that Zhang Yi had put a bounty on his head. This made him furious. He considered himself the hunter, and Zhang Yi was merely his prey. Why should prey fight back against the hunter?

However, he underestimated the madness that could consume people in such dire circumstances.

Early that morning, two desperate young people came to take his life.

This made Chen Zhenghao feel a sense of danger, but at the same time, it drove him further into madness.

"Die, all of you! If you want me dead, you can go to hell first!" Chen Zhenghao roared.

As he relaxed, he suddenly felt a twinge of pain in his back. He called one of his men to check. After a glance, the man shouted, "Boss, you've been stabbed in the back!"

A 30-centimeter-long gash had been cut through Chen Zhenghao's down jacket. The adrenaline rush from the cold and his earlier excitement had masked the pain.

Now, upon hearing this, he cried out in agony. "Those two bastards! Chop them to pieces!"

Sweat beads formed on his forehead, and he quickly called Dr. Zhou Ke'er. "Dr. Zhou, I've been injured; please come and bandage me up!"

Before long, Zhou Ke'er arrived at Chen Zhenghao's home with her medical kit. She looked at this cold-blooded thug with a sense of revulsion. But for the sake of staying alive, she had no choice but to tend to his wounds.

In fact, she had helped Chen Zhenghao treat his leg wound earlier, which was why it hadn't become infected. Although she was reluctant, she couldn't defy the barrel of a gun pointed at her.

"I won't help you for free," Zhou Ke'er said coldly.

Chen Zhenghao chuckled and pointed to the kitchen. "I'll share some of the meat with you later."

Zhou Ke'er wrinkled her nose and took in the pungent, metallic scent of blood. She suppressed the urge to vomit.

"I don't need it," she said.

Chen Zhenghao laughed, "It's late, Dr. Zhou, and you're still so high-minded? Sooner or later, you'll eat it. If you don't eat, you'll die!"

"I'd rather die," Zhou Ke'er said, frowning.

"Well, I can't bear to lose you. In this world, having a doctor around is too important," Chen Zhenghao sighed.

If it weren't for Zhou Ke'er helping him with his leg wound earlier, he might have lost more than just a leg; he might have lost his life.

"Don't worry. If there ever comes a day when you must eat, I'll keep you for last."

Chen Zhenghao gazed at Zhou Ke'er with a fiery look. He had coveted this beautiful woman for a long time. If it weren't for her current usefulness, he would have taken her by now.

Zhou Ke'er stopped speaking and proceeded to treat his wound.

Soon, the wound was simply dressed, and Zhou Ke'er picked up her medical kit to leave.

Little did she know, Chen Zhenghao signaled to one of his men, and the man blocked the door, trapping her inside.

"What do you want?" Zhou Ke'er asked, her heart racing.

Chen Zhenghao said, "There's nothing to worry about. You can't leave until my wound has healed."

Chen Zhenghao was afraid, too. He knew that countless people wanted him dead, and they were running low on medical supplies. Having a doctor by his side was essential for his safety.

Ignoring Zhou Ke'er's resistance, he forced her to stay.

Before long, his men brought a plate of cooked meat. Zhou Ke'er saw human fingers on the plate and almost vomited. Luckily, her experience dealing with the dead at the hospital had hardened her. Otherwise, she might have been sick to her stomach.

Chen Zhenghao insisted that she eat some, but Zhou Ke'er refused. He simply laughed and wasn't concerned; he believed that sooner or later, she would eat it out of desperation.

"This situation can't continue like this. These survivors are getting bolder, and it's not good for us. We have to kill Zhang Yi, take over his place, and secure his well-stocked fortress. It's our best chance for long-term survival."

"Zhang Yi's place is like a fortress. We've tried attacking it several times but failed each time. It's like a turtle shell, impossible to break into."

Chen Zhenghao replied, "I refuse to believe there's no weakness in his defense, or that he never leaves his apartment."

"We need to move next door to him, take shifts watching him, and wait for an opportunity to strike. Also, living on a higher floor is safer."

His men looked at each other, uncertain about the plan.

"Boss, we've attacked Zhang Yi's place multiple times, and it's never worked. It's like a fortress!"

Chen Zhenghao said, "I refuse to believe there's no weakness in his defense, or that he never leaves his apartment!"

"Here's the plan: we'll move next door to him and watch him round the clock. We'll strike when the time is right. Plus, living on a higher floor is safer."

Chen Zhenghao's men reluctantly agreed, nodding in unison.

Meanwhile, Zhou Ke'er overheard their conversation. She found an excuse to go to the bathroom and sent a message to Zhang Yi, informing him of their plans.

Zhang Yi, unfazed, replied, "Understood. Continue to observe the situation."

Zhou Ke'er was relatively safe since she was a doctor. Chen Zhenghao wouldn't kill her. She could only hope that someone would claim the bounty on Chen Zhenghao soon, ending this dangerous situation.

Chen Zhenghao and his group gathered their supplies and moved to the 24th floor, right next to Zhang Yi's apartment. The young couple living there were terrified to have Chen Zhenghao as their neighbor.