25.scold the old woman

Zhang Yi let out a disdainful chuckle.

In the previous life, he had underestimated the severity of the snowstorm. He thought that by showing some goodwill to his neighbors and sharing some of his hoarded supplies, he could build good relations. But what was the outcome?

Not only did he fail to earn the gratitude of his neighbors, but he also unintentionally gave the impression that his home still held plenty of resources. The ultimate result was that he got brutally killed, becoming someone else's sustenance.

One could say that his death in the previous life was also tied to this woman named Lin!

He smirked, lazily sending a voice message in response.

"Well, that's great news. We've run out of supplies too. Aunt Lin, when you gather those resources, please do me a favor and share some with me!"

Aunt Lin, infuriated, began to berate him loudly in her room.

"Pah! Who do you think you're fooling? I'm sure your home is still stocked up."

"Hmph, after working at the warehouse for so many years, do you think your hands are clean?"

She was so certain because Zhang Yi had often helped the neighbors purchase discounted items from the Walmart warehouse. Damaged packaging and close-to-expiration date products were often sold at incredibly low prices. As an internal employee, they had the privilege of priority purchases, and sometimes the warehouse even distributed these items as employee benefits.

Aunt Lin's face turned red, and she clenched her teeth but refused to give up. She had her sights set on Zhang Yi as a big fish. If she could just pry open his mouth, she and her grandson could acquire a heap of supplies, enough to survive for at least a week!

Aunt Lin took a deep breath and tried to speak in a milder tone, mingled with a stern undertone. "Little Zhang, don't play games with Auntie here. Everyone knows you're the manager at Walmart's warehouse. Could your house possibly be short on food and drinks?"

"This time, it's an order from the organization. You must obey! You've contributed to the community, and both the community and the organization will remember your kindness."

"Be obedient, bring everything from your home to Auntie, set an example!"

Zhang Yi picked up a toothpick and cleaned his teeth, as he nonchalantly replied, "I'm not kidding, we've run out of everything at home. In this day and age, even the landlords have no surplus!"

"Aunt Lin, how about giving me a few packs of instant noodles? As a member of the neighborhood committee, you need to set an example and show some leadership spirit!"

Zhang Yi mocked her.

Seeing that Zhang Yi was not swayed, Aunt Lin intensified her tone, her voice growing deeper.

"Zhang Yi!"

"You can't have a civil conversation with Auntie, huh?"

"Do you think I'm speaking on my personal behalf? I'm representing the organization!"

"If you refuse to hand over your supplies, you're defying the organization, and I will make sure you face consequences!"

Zhang Yi let out a cold laugh.

"Pah!"

"Representing the organization? Are you really trying to use a sledgehammer to crack a nut?"

"You're nothing more than a neighborhood committee member. Don't even mention being a government official; you're not even a civil servant."

"You can play big shots with the elderly on regular days, but trying to act all mighty here, you must be joking!"

"Do whatever you like. I'll be waiting at home for you!"

Zhang Yi mercilessly exposed Aunt Lin's true identity. The community workers were just social workers, without official positions, let alone being government officials. Even if she were a high-ranking official, Zhang Yi wouldn't have cared at this point. After berating Aunt Lin, Zhang Yi promptly ended the call and blocked her number. He had no time to argue with such an abusive woman.

This string of actions infuriated Aunt Lin to the point of bursting.

This Zhang Yi had repeatedly opposed her, pushing her face into the dirt and rubbing it against the ground. How could she, who considered herself a community leader, tolerate such a thing?

"Zhang Yi, you damned thing! I... I wish I could kill you!"

Aunt Lin shouted in anger, but she knew she couldn't really harm Zhang Yi at this point.

She thought about kicking Zhang Yi out of the homeowners' chat group. However, she realized that it wouldn't hurt him much. So she considered rallying everyone in the group to collectively condemn Zhang Yi. But if she did that, everyone would know that Zhang Yi hadn't contributed any supplies. In case others followed suit, she would be out of options.

Regardless, there was nothing she could do to Zhang Yi right now.

All she could do was to focus on deceiving others.

She had to seize this opportunity while people were still in the dark, and try to acquire as many resources as possible before they realized what was happening.

In the following two days, Aunt Lin managed to trick some households into giving

her a portion of their supplies through cajoling and threats. However, not everyone was naive.

In the face of the apocalypse, everyone's priority was survival for themselves and their families. Some chose to ignore Aunt Lin's pleas, while others who were more confrontational even drove her away when she came knocking on their doors. Those who were tough and not easy to mess with, like Chen Zhenghao and Xu Hao, she didn't even dare to approach.

Zhang Yi observed all these events through the surveillance cameras, but he had no intention of interfering in the affairs of others. He continued to enjoy his life, playing games and savoring his food.

Now, five days had passed since the onset of the ice and snow disaster. Typically, people would have about three to five days' worth of supplies at home. In their case, some had slightly more due to their association with the large warehouse, but the severe cold necessitated a faster consumption of resources.

In these few days, the atmosphere in the chat group gradually became more tense. Initially, homeowners patiently waited for official rescue, but as the days went by and resources dwindled, their mentality began to change.

Especially those who had been deceived and had their supplies taken by Aunt Lin. They couldn't help but question her in the group, asking how she planned to distribute the collected resources.

"@Unit 1502, Lin Chunxia, Aunt Lin, didn't you promise to distribute the resources you took? Our supplies have run out, and it's been two days. Could you share some with us?"

"Yeah, you said it would be distributed evenly, so everyone would have something to eat!"

The homeowners clamored, even those who hadn't given away their supplies initially hoped to get a share now.

Aunt Lin, however, seemed to have disappeared completely, not responding to any of their messages. She could see the messages but had no intention of distributing the resources she had collected.

In the entire building, only she and Zhang Yi knew what was happening outside. The situation had already descended into chaos, where having resources was a matter of life and death.

Aunt Lin held her grandson tightly, curled up under five layers of blankets, and gritted her teeth. "I can't possibly return the resources I've worked so hard to deceive from others!"