StevexReader➳Safe With Me

Time Period: Before Cap is frozen.

Words: 602

Warnings: Fluff and feels.

-----------------------

You waited anxiously as the soldiers got off the trucks. Where was your older brother?

'Steve!' You breathed out running over to your brothers best friend.

He had a grim expression on his face that sent a jolt of worry into your stomach.

'S-Steve?' You repeated trying to meet his avoiding gaze.

When he finally met your eyes, you knew. You shook your head unable to believe that your brother was gone. There was no way Bucky was dead.

'(Y/N), I'm so sorry.' Steve choked out before you ran away.

You pushed past the other waiting familys and the embracing soldiers until you were in the street alone. Looking left and right you ran left, towards your house.

'(Y/N), is that you?' Your step mother called as you ran up the stairs.

After the death of your mother your father remarried. Bucky never got to know your step mother well so she wouldn't understand the pain you were feeling. After Bucky left, your father died of a heart attack so it was just you and your "mother".

'Dinner will be ready in five minutes.' She called before you slammed the door.

You slid to the floor and admired the room you were in, Bucky's.

'This can't be real.' You sobbed into your knees that were brought to your chest.

You stayed like this for an hour until you moved to Bucky's bed and relived all the times he would comfort you from your night terrors as a kid.

'Good to see you Steve.' You heard your step mother call out.

You knew he was here to try and talk to you but you were in no mood to speak. Slowly, you flopped off the bed and went to lock the door.

'I can't begin to tell you how sorry I am.' Steve said.

You sighed because you got to the door to late and Steve was already in front of you. He pulled you into a hug and rubbed your back comfortingly.

'This can't be real.' You said as the tears came back to your eyes.

Steve pulled back from the embrace and wiped your stray tears away.

'I-It was all my fault.' He said looking down.

You stared at him with confusion before you realized that it was Steve who needed comforting now.

'N-No it wasn't.' You hiccuped out.

He sat on Bucky's bed and put his face in his hands. You sat next to him and for the first time realized how much larger he had gotten from the experiment on him.

'Steve-' You hummed causing him to look up at you puffy eyed.

'I know you did all you could.' You continued.

He looked at you with a blank expression until he shakily nodded. You two sat in silence for a while until the moon came out. You had fallen asleep on Bucky's bed as Steve read through some of his old journals. Steve looked at the sleeping form of his childhood friend, she was just as broken as him.

'I'm sorry.' He said covering you with the blankets before kissing you on the forehead softly.

He made his way to the door before someone grabbed his hand.

'P-Please stay.' You said with your eyes still shut.

He was hesitant at first but remembered the all the times Bucky would be tired during the day from dealing with your nightmares. Steve took off his jacket and rested it on the chair before taking a seat next to you and playing with your hair softly.

'You're safe with me.' He whispered.

'I know.' You replied snuggling into his warm side.