Chapter fifty seven: The mind contradicts what the heart wants

Ten months after Cale's captivity, he was more or less familiar with the enemies' base. The White Star kept him by his side, the only time where the two would separate would be when the White Star had things to do outside the base, leaving Cale under the care of his attendant. Cale also had gotten used to their treatment with him. In short, he was living well. They fed him well and they dressed him luxuriously. Though, he still couldn't use his abilities due to the chains.

The White Star is a cautious one, no? Cale thought one day while he and the White Star were strolling the town in the Endable Kingdom.

The chains were invisible to others but Cale could feel it on his limbs and neck. He tried to remove them countless times but they were in vain as the White Star was the only one who could remove them completely.

The two were actually traveling to Duke Fredo's house. They were invited to have some leisure tea time. Cale cursed Fredo for not helping him, he didn't like the thought that the vampire might be enjoying himself.

I don't know what Fredo is thinking. If he is an enemy, he would've reported everything he knew about me, Cale thought as he smiled when the Duke came to his view.

"It's been a while, Sir Barrow and Callen," Fredo greeted.

Cale only nodded his head slightly as he lowered his head. He could feel Fredo laughing at him.

"Shall we go to the drawing room?" Fredo said as he guided them to the said room.

The servants prepared different kinds of sweets. Both parties knew full well how the young redhead loved eating sweet foods. Cale timidly picked one cookie, followed by the second and so on.

Cale was most likely enjoying his food while secretly listening to the conversation of the older people. He could feel the side glances Fredo gave to him as their conversation went on.

After months of being obedient towards the White Star, he lowered his guard to Cale—which was advantageous to him. Since he has always been by his side, he knew that the events from their first timeline and the present were the same.

The content of White Star and Fredo's conversation were all political agendas with some villainy undertones. Well, Cale already knew them since he and Choi Han experienced them during their first timeline. He just wanted to make sure if there would be changes as he had been changing things left and right.

"Duke Fredo, would it be alright to leave my son here today?" Barrow asked after their serious conversation.

"Hmm, of course, it's alright," Fredo smiled. "It'll be fun to have him stay with me for a while."

"Haha, my son here really has a knack of making people like him," Barrow laughed as he ruffled Cale's hair.

"Papa, don't mess my hair," Cale grumbled.

"Sorry about that," Barrow smiled. "I'll leave you here for a while and I'll be back to get you at night."

"Okay, papa," Cale nodded.

"Be good to your Uncle Fredo," Barrow said as he waved his hand then he disappeared.

Cale finally sighed a breath of relief as Fredo laughed at him.

"What do you think you're doing, Cale Henituse? Pretending to be that person's child," Fredo finally asked.

"I had no other choice. I can't even escape his grasp," Cale answered as he rested his chin on the back of his hand.

"What do you mean?"

"He tied me to him. I can't use any of my abilities. Escaping should be a piece of cake to me if he didn't imprison me."