Chapter forty two: The truth

It took them one week to finally arrive in the Henituse Territory. Cale spoke with his father about the wolf children they were looking after for a while. Deruth agreed to shelter them as long as someone would look after them. Now, Cale and Deruth were inside his father's office. Like what Deruth told Cale, they have something to talk about.

"Cale, before you went to the Capital I've told you we have something we want to ask you, right?" Deruth started as he looked at his son who was slightly uncomfortable.

Deruth didn't want to do this at first. However, there were a lot of things he didn't know. As a father, he was worried about his son's safety. He almost lost him once and he didn't want that to happen once again. He already lost his first wife, he just didn't want to lose his only son with her.

"Yes, dad. You told me about it," Cale responded. "Dad, I am prepared to tell you what you want to know. But, are you prepared to know the truth?"

Originally, Cale was already planning on telling his father the truth. He was just building the courage to tell him. He was afraid his father would ignore him again. He was scared his father wouldn't look at his path again. Cale couldn't help it, he somehow had trust issues with his father. After all, during his slumber, he was reminded over and over again how his father neglected him all throughout the timelines.

Deruth, on the other hand, wondered what his son meant. Is the truth that he's about to say something so grand? What has his son hiding from him? Even so, he was already prepared to know the truth. He has been watching his son. He knew something was happening before but his own cowardice, avoiding the issue, harmed his son.

"Yes, Cale," Deruth answered. Cale inhaled deeply and exhaled slowly. He clenched his hand and stared at his father.

"Dad, what I am about to tell you is the truth. It's up to you whether you will believe it or not. Whatever I am about to say may come off as unbelievable but the existence of my powers, Youna and Olienne are enough proof for what I will say," Cale said. Deruth gulped thickly.

"Dad, you already know that I inherited mom's ability to grow and invigorate greenery, right?" Cale asked. Deruth nodded.

"It wasn't the only thing I inherited from her. I also inherited the Blood of Thames, it is a special ability, they call it a gift since it came from the first generation of Thames," Cale continued, clenching his hand on his thighs enough to whiten his knuckles. Cale learned about the truth when he was inside Gaia's library.

"Both mom and I had the gift. However, having two gifts existing at the same time is not permitted by the laws of nature. That is why, the second one who inherited a gift must die," Cale added, closing his eyes tightly as he was recalling the truth.

"Wh-What do you mean?" Deruth asked, his eyes were shaking and his sweat felt cold.

"Dad, I was supposed to die instead of mom," Cale answered. Deruth was beyond shock.

"But mom saved me, to lengthen my lifespan, she made a deal in exchange for her life," Cale's voice was shaking.