Chapter sixteen: A promise carried by the wind

Cale Henituse asked Bud and Glenn about the place on the other side of the mountain where he was pointing out. It was revealed that it was one of the Three Restricted Areas in the Easter Continent.

Cale could hear voices from the said island. It was filled with anguish, anger, sorrow, sadness, and despair. He couldn't bear what he was feeling and hearing from the voices inside his head. Those didn't come from his ancient powers but from the people on that island. He sweats profusely as his child-body and mind couldn't handle the mental strain from the voices.

"Ugh," Cale groaned and curled his body. His head was hurting and his body was heating up.

"Hey, what happened?!" Bud asked in surprise, he rushed towards Cale and leaned him on his arms. Cale was breathing heavily and gripping his chest real hard.

Cale, you can hear the voices in Wind Island? The Sound of the Wind asked.

Wind island?

"What's on the wind island? Why are there people in that restricted area?" Cale asked as he struggled from all the voices inside his head. The voices sounded like they were trapped in a void and all their negative feelings swirled around the void.

Help me.

I don't want to die!

Mother! Father! Where are you?

It hurts! Let me out!

I will never forgive them!

The voices kept spewing their words like poison inside Cale's head. The myriad of voices were chaotic inside. He was like drowning from the suffering of those voices.

"But there are no living beings on that island," Bud answered, sounding worried for the redhead. Cale closed his eyes and focused on calming himself. He took a deep breath and slowly released it, he did that for a few more times.

After Cale calmed down, he sat properly and faced Bud and Glenn.

"Can you bring me there?" Cale asked in all seriousness.

"What?! No! That place is not for a kid like you," Bud opposed.

"I will be fine. There is something I need to check in that place," Cale insisted.

In truth, he didn't need anything from there—at first—but the voices he heard were something he couldn't afford to ignore.

"That place isn't just a simple Wind Island, it is called a Restricted Area for a reason," Bud still was against the idea of the redhead. Cale frowned.

"That's right. That place is filled with dangerous winds, only people with Wind attribute ancient power could enter," Glenn explained.

"Then there's no problem, I have a Wind attribute ancient power," Cale confidently answered and stood. 

Bud and Glenn looked at each other. They still couldn't allow him but the gaze of the child in front of them told them that it would be fine.

"Still no, we will call someone who will bring you back to your place," Bud said and left the room.

"I don't know why you wanted to go there but we really can't allow you to go," Glenn reasoned, then he followed Bud out of the room.

Cale understood why they were worried, a child trying to go to a dangerous place was something an adult wouldn't allow. He stood by the window and looked far ahead. He really needed to go there.

"Youna? Can you hear me?" Cale asked through the wind. It was only made possible with the combination of his ancient power and gift.

Human? Human! Where are you?! The red dragon asked. Cale chuckled at the voice of the dragon.