Chapter thirty-three: Into the modern world

A/N: This chapter will be in Cale Henituse's point of view.

***

As I slept away from the exhaustion I got from bringing Choi Han back to the past, the gods from the divine realm appeared before me again. Thanatos was looking at me and showing me a smile which made me think he was up to no good again. His pettiness was too much and it was incredibly annoying.

If everything is settled, I'll definitely take revenge on that fucker, I thought as I exhaled deeply in that dream. I wasn't even sure if I was in a dream or not.

I dreamt of the events before everything went downhill. I was reminded how happy I was as a child since both my mom and dad were still paying attention to me. I also saw how my mother died, I cried knowing I couldn't do anything about it as it was already predestined. It wasn't just one thing, but in every timeline shown to me, all of it, mom sacrificed herself so I could live.

I saw how much attention I asked for my father. I saw how I always followed him around as a child, and would always wait for him to eat with me. However, all of it wasn't granted. Father was too heartbroken to even look at me as my hair would remind him of my mother. I pity my younger self since no matter how much he craved and asked for father's attention, he won't grant it.

Then, in all of those timelines, father would always bring Violan and Basen to the house so we could become family. It was the only time I realized my father did that so I could grow up with a mother. Having a brother was a bonus so I wouldn't feel lonely when both got busy.

But dad all I want is for you to look at me and stay by my side as I, too, am grieving for mom's death, I thought.

Everything went according to what had happened. Choi Han beat me up every time. He had killed me once, twice, thrice in other timelines. On the other, he left me half-dead. This led for Basen to attend the King's birthday celebration, which was attacked by the White Star's organization, and went back home injured. Basen suffered a lot from that. Then, more tragedy occurred.

Dad died from the attack of the Indomitable Alliance. Mother also followed after that. When the war worsened, the monarch drafted soldiers to battle. Every timeline, I signed up as a soldier to protect my brother and sister. However, Lily would always go missing. In one future, she became a slave. On the other, she became an ingredient for black despair. I saw how she suffered in every timeline. I teared up as I didn't imagine it would happen to her. Basen, on the other hand, always settled on killing himself if he wasn't captured or he didn't draft for the army. My heart aches seeing how much our world has to suffer because of the White Star.

Then, as I drifted in the darkness, a light shone in the distance. It showed the timelines where I was replaced by another soul. They were all happy. Things were difficult but no one in the Rowoon Kingdom greatly suffered like we did.

"Kim Rok Soo," I said.

Does that mean a man named Kim Rok Soo should have replaced my soul? I asked as I paid more attention to them.

Kim Rok Soo. I will definitely remember the name. He saved our world so he should be rewarded.

But as I watched the scenes unfold before my eyes, I couldn't help but feel envy. I shouldn't be feeling this way but I couldn't help it. He has a good relationship with my family. It's a good thing, still.

Was I wrong for wishing I wanted to be the one doing the saving? Should I let another handle the fate of my people? But even if I agreed to be replaced, what would it be for me? Mom won't be able to reincarnate forever, I thought as I watched how successful the other timelines were because of him.