Chapter 64

Trinity's POV

Later that day, Dev took Katie, Abby and I out to eat. There we met up with Ashley, Andi, and Aubrey who were going to the World Cup, and Tara who wanted to come for fun. 

The whole time, Ashley looked uneasy and seemed to avoid eye contact with Katie, and Dev seemed to be doing the same thing. It was freaking weird. 

"I have to go to the bathroom. Who wants this baby." Katie asked, standing up.

"Ooh me! Me!" Aubrey said. "I love babies." 

"I'm coming with you." I said, getting up with her. 

We walked to the bathroom, and I grabbed her arm before she went in a stall. 

"Why is Ashley not looking at you?" I asked. 

"I was gonna ask you the same thing. I thought you might know."   

"Nope." 

"She's talking to you, so it obviously doesn't have to do with you." 

"Dev's acting weird too. Let's get her in here. Maybe she'll talk." 

I sent her a text saying that it was an emergency, so she came in, followed by Tara. 

"What the hell. You guys look fine." She scoffed. "I was eating. I thought someone was bleeding out or dying or something."

 "Nope. We want to talk to you." I said. 

"What do you want?" 

"Why is Ashley acting weird." 

"She's not acting weird. She's holding Katie's baby." 

"Don't play dumb." Katie said, taking a step closer to her.  

"I'm gonna go..." Tara said, backing towards the door. 

"I'm gonna go with her." Dev tried to follow her, but Katie grabbed her arm. 

"What secret do you two have? You haven't looked me in the eyes once." Katie said, still holding her arm. 

"Secret?" 

"Tell me."

"I don't have one." Dev said. 

"Yes you do. Spill." 

She squeezed her eyes shut and spoke fast. 

"We might have a little teeny tiny secret and I absolutely can not share because it is not yours to know." 

"Okay thanks. That's all I need." 

"What?" I asked. 

"Okay. Bye." Dev left the bathroom so fast that if I had blinked I would have never seen her open the door. 

"That's all you needed? You don't want to know what it is?" 

"Oh I do." Katie said."But this is where we get Ashley. Dev will never crack. Ashley would tell any random joe on the street." 

"Damn. You're right." I said. 

"Okay well I actually have to pee so you're dismissed." 

"You didn't invite me here. I came on my own terms." 

"You heard me." 

I sighed and left the bathroom. 

----------

Katie's POV

After lunch, I followed Ashley to her car so I could talk to her alone and try to get her talk. 

"Who's following me?" She said, whipping around. 

"It's just me Ash." 

"Well shit. I'd rather it be a serial killer." 

"What?" 

"Nothing. I'll talk to you later Katie. Bye." She started walking faster in the other direction. but I grabbed her arm and yanked her back towards me. 

She screamed, but I threw my hand to her mouth. 

"Stop yelling! People are gonna call the cops on me!" I whispered. 

"I would like them to do that so you'd stop following me." 

"Okay, what is up with you?" I asked, letting go of her. 

"Nothing, I just don't feel like talking right now." 

"Five bucks to tell me what you're hiding." 

"No bribes." 

"So you are hiding something." 

"What? I never said th-" 

"C'mon, Ashley! We're friends. You can tell me anything. We're close, Ash. I love you and I care about you, and whatever you're hiding is obviously hurting you." I said. 

She stared at the ground, and I waited patiently. 

"I did something really bad." She said finally. 

"What did you do?" 

"I did something that might hurt you." 

"Not much can hurt me, Ash, unless you hurt my kid. Then you hurt me." 

"I didn't hurt Abby, but I did.....sleep with your ex boyfriend. I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry I just-" 

"It's okay." 

"I'm just so sorry. If you hate me forever it's fine but-" 

"Ashley." I said, putting my hands on her shoulders. "It's okay. Calm down. I'm fine with it." Me and him are close friends now. It's not hurting me." I said. "And plus, don't tell anybody this, but I think, there's a chance, that maybe, this time, Trinity and I will be able to make it." 

"WHAT??? It's happening???" Her frown immediately became a smile, her face lighting up so much it made me smile. "What caused her to break up with that guy? She loved him." 

"It was me, I guess." I sighed. "We were both sick of waiting. We....we finally had the timing right, though it was a bit forced. It all happened today, but I think it's gonna work." 

"So my favorite couple is gonna be official?" 

"Hopefully." 

"I can't believe it!" 

"But don't tell anyone. Not yet at least. There's too much in the air." 

"I understand. I get it. But this is so exciting!" 

"What's more exciting, though, is that you're going to the World Cup, god damn it!" I smiled, and gave her a big hug. 

I felt nothing but pure pride for my teammates who were packing their bags for Australia. They've worked so tirelessly hard for this, and I can't be more excited to see them on the world stage. 

"Well I'm gonna head out Ash." I said finally. "I'll text you later, okay?" 

"Sounds good!" 

"Bye Ash." 

"Bye Katie." 

I walked to my car where Dev and Trin were waiting for me with the baby. She was crying (when is she not lately) and Trin was trying to calm her down. 

"To hell with that." I said to Trinity. "Give Dev the baby." 

"I've only been saying it for 10 minutes!" Dev sighed, taking the baby from Trin. 

"The baby whisperer." I sighed. "What's more impressive, her goalkeeping abilities, or her ability to calm down a baby almost immediately?" 

"I'm gonna have to go with the second one." Trinity said. 

"And I'm gonna have to agree."