Chapter 30

Katie's POV

"Morning, lovebirds!" Dev said, opening the blinds. 

"Go away Dev." Trin yawned. 

"Nope. You've slept late enough. I've been up for 3 hours." 

"What time is it?" I asked. 

"10:30." 

"I'm too comfy to move." 

"MOOOVE!" Dev came over and dragged Trin and I apart, much to both of our dismay. 

"That was mean." Said Trin. 

"I have big plans for today. BIG PLANS!" 

"Okay, the energy can go down a level or two, please." 

"We have press conferences." 

"What the!" I yelled, jumping up. "No one told me about that! What time?"

"Like 11:30." 

"THAT'S IN AN HOUR!" Trinity jumped up too. 

"Yeah. That's what I'm saying. Get moving." 

----------

"Katie, you're named the #1 prospect for next NWSL season, even before all of the rookies projected to go first in the draft. What's the brief rundown on how you got there?" 

"Wait really? I'm shocked about that." I laughed. "But I really owe my professional career up to this point completely to my best friend Trinity Rodman. She's....she's exceptional. She's...right there. Hi Trin." I did a little wave to her, which cracked up the people around me. "But if it weren't for her, I wouldn't he here right now. 100% owed to her. She helped me out of a tough spot by giving me a place to stay, and uh, most of all, she's just been a friend and my number 1 fan, she's always believed in me and given me that extra push to keep going on days I didn't even want to get out of bed." 

"You mentioned once that your parents kicked you out when you were 17. What was the reason behind that?" 

"I applied to a bunch of colleges, and I got scholarship money from a lot of them. But I got a full ride to go play soccer at the college I went to last year, so I took it. My parents didn't like that I was playing a sport and going for a sport instead of academics. They told me my dream of playing pro was far-fetched and I'd never be able to. So I told them, without thinking, really, that if they weren't gonna support me achieving dream, then I don't want them to watch me achieve it. They didn't like that and they told me to pack my stuff and leave. So that's that." 

The whole place was quiet, presumably shocked at how casually I said it. 

Thinking about it and talking about it doesn't hurt anymore. I'm way happier here in general. Sure I have days where it hits me hard and those are rough, but I toughed out the toughest part of my life. There can't be much tougher, right? 

They asked a few more soccer questions and then let me go. 

As soon as I stepped away from the table, I felt a rush of sadness hit me, a rush of tears I could barely control. Obviously Trinity could see the sadness on my face, so before I let it all out with all the people in the room, she put her arm around me and lead me out quickly, shoving me into her car. 

"You did a great job. You really did. I'm impressed at how you held that in." She told me. 

"I hope nobody saw me." I said, moving my hand from my eyes to see my smeared mascara. "That would be really embarrassing." 

"It's okay." 

"I hate when all eyes are on me. It sucks." 

"It's okay, Kates. You're safe now. Nobody can see you." 

I broke down sobbing uncontrollably, hot entirely sure why but it was happening big time. 

"You know, Trinny?" I said through my sobs. 

"What Kates?" 

"Every time I get upset about my parents and how they treated me, I think about how it was a blessing." I said. "A blessing because it lead me to you. Losing you....a million times worse that losing them. It sounds terrible, but if you were me you'd understand." 

"I love you, Katie Callahan." 

"I love you too, Trinity Rodman."