Chapter 12

Devon's POV

"I've got eyes on the kid." Sam said. "She's walking in. Now she's at the front. Now she's....sitting down. Oh now she's standing up. She's getting seated. Now she's pulling out a chair-" 

"We don't need the exact play-by-play, Sam Staab." Trinity said into the phone. "Just when something important happens. That's all." 

"Sorry." 

"Let us know when he walks in." I told her. "Then how he greets her and stuff. Body language." 

"Okay." 

"He walked in! He's going to her table! Oh! He scooped her up and kissed her and took her away and they lived happily ever after!" Teased Sonnett. 

"Shut up Emily!" Sam said. "You're lucky to be witnessing this." 

"I'm just here for the free meal." 

"Yeah, because clearly you're no help." 

"Never agreed to helping, just coming." 

We could hear Sam do a really heavy sigh, and then she gasped. 

"He's here!" 

"Tell me what he's doing!" Yelled Trinity. 

"He appeared to have said 'hi' and he is very smiley and happy. He sat down and her expression...." 

"What's her expression?" Asked Ashley. 

"She might as well bee that heart eye emoji." Sonnett joked. 

"She looks really interested in him. Like super." Sam said sadly. 

Trinity's face fell, and I felt terrible for her. 

"Shit." She sighed. "Not good." 

"It's okay. Team Trin." Said Tara putting her arm around her friend. "It's gonna be okay." 

Both ends of the phone were silent for a while until Ashley decided it would be the appropriate time to propose the idea of ordering pizza. 

"I'm gonna order pizza!" She said happily. "Does anybody want anything other than plain or pepperoni?" 

"Was this really the time, Ash?" I asked. 

"I'm hungry." 

"Half plain half pepperoni's fine with me." I sighed, looking at Trinity, who was picking at her nails. 

"He grabbed her hand!" Said Sam suddenly. "She is looking down and not looking up.  She won't look into his eyes. Obviously I don't know why." 

"What if she doesn't-" 

"SHE LOOKED UP!" She whispered loudly into the phone. "She's smiling. Smiling!" 

"I'm done." Said Trin, laying back on the couch and covering her eyes with her hands. "She likes him. Go both of them, honestly." 

"Pizza will be here in 20-" Ashley walked in, and paused. "What happened? Did they kiss?" 

"I sure hope not. This is her reaction because she smiled at him." I said. 

"Not a good sign." 

"Not at all." 

Ashley sighed and looked at her best friend, who hadn't moved. The eyes she gave her were sad and empathetic. 

"Trin, I don't think you really understand how much she loves you. Before she left, you're the only one she said that she loved. And that's how it always is. It's always an 'I love you' to you before a general 'bye' to everybody else. You can't see it, but the way she looks at you...she most definitely has to have a thing for you. Those are not 'just friends' eyes. She loves you, and she knows it, but I'm not sure if she really knows it or not. It's more subconsciously there." Ash said. 

And while that made almost no sense, it made so much at the same time. 

That's just Ash foe you. 

"That's the smartest thing I've ever heard you say." Said Tara, scratching her head. "That was weird." 

Ashley sat back down next to me on the couch and stretched her egs across my lap. 

"I'm smart, believe it or not." 

"Your fly is down." 

"Shit." 

"Smart." 

"Dev, I'm gonna go take a pair of sweatpants." 

"How do those even fit you?" Tara asked. 

"They really don't." 

"I better get these ones back." I said. 

"Aw Dev. You're a cute little dreamer aren't you?" She said, getting up. 

"If you don't give them back I'll take them right off you." 

"Dev that's weird." 

"You have more of my sweatpants than I do!" 

"Sorry." 

She got up and went into my room. 

"You can have my jeans in return!" She said happily when she walked out. 

"Like those would fit me." I said, and she threw them at me. 

I threw them at her, and she threw them at Trin. 

"Lighten up. This isn't the end of the world. I told you, it's all gonna work out." She told her. 

"Maybe we could try to make her jealous?" Trinity said. 

"I like it." Tara nodded. 

"I think it's a great idea. How do you suggest we do that?" I asked. 

"I can come up with something...." Said, Trin, scrolling through her phone.