Chapter 51

Katie's POV

A month later, I was in a midweek press conference after the  media had been peppering Washington Spirit as to why I'm not playing or didn't sign an extension yet like they said was going to happen.

The rumors of me going other places had surfaced the other day, probably due to the scheduling of this conference, but I'm telling them I'm not planning on going anywhere. 

I'd worked out an agreement with the Spirit that I would come back on a one year deal if I decide to keep playing after I have the baby, which is my plan. 

I took a deep breath and walked up to the table, followed by Trinity and coach Mark Parsons, and took my seat. 

They got right into it after the introductions. 

"Katie, your absence from the team hasn't gone unnoticed. I speak for everyone when I say, where have you been?" 

"Um, obviously I haven't been training with the team this preseason and haven't played in our first two games of the season, and there's reason behind it. I-" 

"Does it have anything to do with the supposed 'health concern' that kept you out of the USWNT November friendlies?" Someone cut me off, which frustrated me, but I kept my cool. 

"SO it was back in November at camp that I found out that I am pregnant." I said, taking a deep breath, and I heard the shuffling of people and the clicking of the cameras increase. "It was a surprise to me too, and especially this early in my career, but I couldn't be more excited." 

Then everyone started talking, trying to ask questions. Trinity and I just looked at each other, waiting for it to die down. It took a good 45 seconds. 

"Is the baby your ex-boyfriend, Adley Rutschman's kid?" 

"Yes." 

"Are those wedding videos rumored to be yours really yours?" 

I took a deep breath. 

We prepared with my agent and the PR guy for this. 

"Yeah. Yes they are." I said. "But we both realized that we were rushing it because of the baby.  We decided ultimately that it wasn't going to work out, but we are still friends and there is absolutely no bad blood between us." 

"Is that video of you on the bridge real?" Someone asked. 

"Did you really try to take your life?" Someone else asked. 

My head started to spin, I was getting overwhelmed. 

"So you ran out on your wedding?" 

"Does that have anything to do with you on the bridge?" 

I had to pull something out of my sleeve quickly, but I couldn't thinks straight. 

"If I may step in here, mental health is no joke." Trinity said. "And I don't think these questions are really appropriate. If you can't tell, this makes her look uncomfortable. So I think we can steer away from those questions." 

"Just for confirmation." One of the reporters said. 

I hate them all. They're all assholes. No one's stopping this?

"Yes, it was me." I have to handle this like a mature adult. "I was in a hard place mentally, and I think all the stress of everything kind of built up. I think I definitely could have handled it in a better way. But as of now, I'm in a way better place. I cleared things up, and I'm alright now. I'm lucky to have had such a great support system in Trinity, Devon, my sister Kennedy, Ashley, Tara, and the rest of my teammates and staff. I owe them so much." 

"Speaking of staff, have you officially signed with the Spirit again?" 

"Yes, I'm in the-" 

"Is it true if you didn't get pregnant you would have gone to play for Juventus in Italy?" 

"That's not-" 

"Were you really offered a massive contract from the Chicago Red Stars?" 

"Did you consider anywhere else before learning about your pregnancy?" 

"I was-" I was cut off again by so many people. 

"Would you go anywhere else? I know you said last season D.C. is your home and you would like to stay." 

"Did North Carolina Courage reach out to you?" 

"Is it true that you cheated with Trinity Rodman?" 

Everyone went silent. 

I didn't look at her, I didn't look at coach, I didn't look at the reporters. 

No matter what I say, the suspicion will be there now that it was brought up. So I took a deep breath, and said what needed to be said, keeping my cool. 

"I think between being asked this and being asked about my attempt, this interview has gotten a bit out of hand and strayed pretty far away from the real purpose of this conference.So if you would have some respect and not try to get every detail of my life for your gossip blogs, I'd greatly appreciate it."  I took a deep breath and stared into the crowd. "And the answer is no, I did not cheat on anyone with anyone." 

I didn't go any deeper, because I wasn't going to have anything come bite me in the ass later. 

Clicks of dozens of cameras went off, and I turned to my coach. 

"Can I leave?" I whispered to him. "I don't like this." 

"It's no problem Katie. You can go, just wait for me while I finish up here." 

"Thanks." 

I looked at Trinity before standing up and walking out a door to the left. 

----------

"I'm really sorry they did that to you." Said coach Parsons. "I really am. It's my fault. I should have stopped them right in the beginning. I was just shocked." 

"It's alright. It's not all your fault, and really there's no blame to be put on you. Everyone's just so invested in other people's personal lives and it drives me nuts." I sighed. 

"Anything that happens, in the media, I've got your back. So does the whole staff and team. We've got you 100%. That was a debacle and you handled that very well. Like an adult, very mature. I wish that would be apparent in the media, but it won't." 

"It's alright I guess. That's just how these things go."  

"I'm going to report it to the league." He said, picking up his phone. 

"Don't worry about it. They'll be able to see when that footage gets to them." 

We said our goodbyes, and then as he walked out the door, Trinity walked in. 

"I'm so sorry." She said. "I ruined everything. It's all my fault!" 

"Trin what?" 

"Everything can be traced back to me." 

"What?" 

"The media's on our backs like a fucking backpack, Katie. We have to be careful." 

"I wasn't worried until now." 

"They've got eyes everywhere. See what happened on the bridge?" 

"Okay, okay. Calm down. You need to take a deep breath." 

I looked her in the eyes, her cheeks tear streaked and puffy. My heart broke a little bit. 

"You have nothing to worry about." I told her. "You're safe. I'm not." 

"I need to get you safe too." 

"I'm not in physical harm. Is this going to kill me? No. When I have the baby and start playing again, everything's gonna fall back into place. I promise."