Chapter 31

Katie's POV

I was called up to the USWNT for the November friendlies, which made me cry happy tears. 

So a few weeks later, we were off to Florida for a pair of friendlies against Germany. 

I met everyone on the team, and they all talked about my performance in the final. 

"I told her, I told Naomi Girma, I turned to her and said 'that kid's getting her well deserved call up next week.' And she agreed! We were right!" Alex Morgan laughed. 

"You're a fan favorite right now." Said Rose Lavelle. "I can't wait to see what you can do here with us." 

I was so excited that I was getting these compliments, and I was even more excited to start training tomorrow. 

Of course I'd already met the team due to travelling with them all through the summer and whatever, but I was excited to finally be able to train with them. That's what I really wanted. 

The next day, we had health screening and then we would do fitness tests later in the day. 

"I think my blood pressure is gonna be up because I'm so excited." I said. 

"That's not how it works." Ashley laughed. 

"Yes it is. It increases your heart rate which increases your blood flow which increases your blood pressure." 

"Nerd alert!" She yelled, and everybody looked our way. 

I just laughed, and then they called me into the room where they were doing the blood tests and stuff.

First I got my blood pressure taken, heart rate, basic stuff like that, like at a doctors office. 

Then I sat down next to Trin to get my blood drawn so they could test it obviously, and she was done before I was. Then we waited to get results, she got cleared, but for whatever reason they called me back. 

"What could possibly be wrong with me? I don't do drugs, I eat healthy, I work out every day, I don't have any diseases....what is it?" I asked. 

"Well Katie, clearly you weren't aware-" 

"Cancer doesn't run in my family, and neither does diabetes." I went on. 

"Katie-" 

"Heart disease doesn't run either, and neither does-" 

"You're pregnant, Katie. We can't let you practice because you're pregnant."