Chapter 9

Katie's POV

"This is too heavy, Katie." Devon complained as we walked down the 3rd flight of stairs. 

"Devon, you've been carrying things for 3 minutes and you're already annoying the shit out of me. So please stop complaining. You're a professional athlete." 

"I'm tired though!" 

"So am I! I was up until 3 am last night packing and then was up at 8 to keep going. Push through." 

"Ughhhh." 

When we got outside, we still had a trek across the parking lot to get to the car. But also when we got outside, a super cute guy jogged over to me. 

"You need some help with that?" He asked me, offering to take the box from my arms. 

"No, she's a strong, independent-"

"Shut up, Devon. I was actually getting tired. Thanks." I said. 

"Yeah, I saw you and your other friend bringing boxes down a few minutes ago. I'm sorry I didn't offer sooner." 

"That's okay." I smiled. 

"So what's your name?" He asked. 

"Her name doesn't matter-" Devon started, but I turned around to knock the box out of her hand to make her shut up. 

"Aw Dev! Sorry! It's no big deal, all the cups are plastic anyway." I said, turning back to the guy. "My name's Katie. Yours?" 

"Adley." 

"Wait, you're Adley Rutshman the baseball player." I laughed.

"That's me." 

"It's always the baseball guys." I heard Devon say from behind us. 

I ignored her.

"I grew up in the Baltimore area, so I grew up an Orioles fan and still am. I told him. "So what brings you here?" 

"Well, we played the Nationals at 12:00. Then I came to visit an old friend who lives here, but he's not home yet. So here I am." 

"Is it really that late that a noon game would be done?" 

"Yep. It's like 5:45. So obviously you're moving. Where to?" 

"The rent here was a little expensive, so I'm moving to my friend's place until I can find a cheaper place to stay." I told him. "So how long are you here for?" 

"We've got a 5 game series here, so 4 more days." He said. "Um, if you'd like, I could take you out to dinner tomorrow night since we have another afternoon game. Only if you want to." 

"That would be really great. Thanks." I realized we had passed my car because Devon wasn't making comments behind me. "Um, we kind of walked..." 

"Oh yeah. Sorry." He laughed. We walked back and he loaded the box into the trunk. 

"Dev, I think we've gotta start to fill your car. Ash and Trin's are full." I told her. 

"Yep, just do whatever you want." She seemed angry. 

"Uh, thanks." 

"I can help you get stuff from your apartment if you want." Adley said. 

"I'd really appreciate that." I smiled. "My friend Devon here is a professional goalkeeper and can't bring one box down for me without complaining. I've been doing this for the last 30 minutes." 

"Don't be ungrateful! I brought one down for you! That's one less trip!"She said. 

"Thanks, Dev." I rolled my eyes. 

Adley and I talked all the way up the stairs talking. 

"So why don't you just use the elevator?" He asked eventually. 

"It's broken. Has been since yesterday. I pay all this money in rent and they can't even fix the elevator." 

When we got to the room, I introduced him to Trinity and Ashley, and we both grabbed boxes to carry downstairs. 

"Devon, you've been relieved of your very short lived box carrying duties." I told her. "Too much complaining on the job." 

Before I got too far down the hall, Ashley called me back in. 

"He's cute." She said. "Let me know if things don't work out with you guys." 

I laughed and ran to catch up with him again. 

I told him about soccer and he told me about baseball. The way his eyes lit up when he talked about it was the most precious thing in the world. 

"You know, you've got the prettiest smile I've ever seen." He said once we got to my car. "And I've never seen eyes the color of yours. Green is my favorite color." 

"Really? I thought it would be orange." I joked, and he laughed. 

"Orange isn't the best color out there." 

"Definitely. Green is a lot nicer." 

----------

Devon's POV

"Bleh. They're practically drooling all over each other." Trinity said, looking out the window of the apartment into the parking lot. 

"I think they're a cute couple." Said Ashley. 

"Hey Ash! Are you team Trin or team Parking Lot Guy?" I asked her. 

"I don't know, Parking Lot Guy's pretty cute." She said. "Adorable, even." 

"So break them up so you can have him!" Trinity exclaimed 

"But what if she isn't even into girls? I mean she's pretty into this guy." Ashley stated. "I mean, has she ever shown any real interest in a girl?" 

I looked over at Trin, who was looking at me. 

"Okay, you got us there. But have you seen the way she looks at Trinity?" 

"No, because you guys like to make things up. You try to say things are there when they aren't. Remember the supposed guy in the closet?" 

"Hey, that's different!" Trinity said. "A lot different." 

"Not even in the same ballpark, Ashley. That's a strikeout." I said. "Shit. That guy's a baseball player." 

"Better stay away from those references." Trinity noted. 

"Agreed." 

"Guys, just let her be with whoever!" Said Ashley. 

"ARE YOU KIDDING ME ASHLEY?" Trinity said. 

"That was very aggressive." 

"If you aren't team Trinity then leave." 

"Sorry. I'm team you."

"Thank you." 

"They're coming back inside. Get back to work quick." I said, moving away from the window and finished up packing the last box.