Chapter 62

Dev's POV

Living with Katie and Trin is the biggest roller coaster ever. Like, bigger than that huge on at Six Flags in New Jersey. King Da Ka I think? 

At 5:45 in the morning they walk in yelling at each other, and by 6:30 they're cuddling, asleep on the couch. This is too much for me really. 

But I still couldn't get over what happened the night before Katie was supposed to get married. She just casually dropped that bomb on me this morning. 

I made coffee as quietly as possible, trying not to wake the three of them up. I was just going to tell the coaches that Trin and Katie had tough nights and barely slept. I had to get them out of recovery somehow. 

Katie usually joins us on recovery days, and she comes to practice a lot. I can tell she misses the field and the team. The only games she missed were the ones the week after she had the baby. 

I quietly slipped out the front door and made up their excuses, texted them, and then headed off. 

I said that the baby wouldn't sleep and Katie was up all night, and then Trin was having trouble sleeping because of the baby and she was nervous about the World Cup roster. 

"Where's Katie and Trin?"Sanchez asked when she ran up to me. 

"The baby kept them up all night. They finally got to sleep, so I left them alone." I replied. 

"No need to lie, Dev." 

"What?" 

"Trinity told me about Katie. She asked if she came to me and Tara's apartment." 

"Oh. I thought Tara answered but not you." 

"I still saw the text when I woke up." 

"Why are you so smiley? It's just so damn early." 

"No reason." 

"Ashley. If I can't lie to you, you can't lie to me." 

A little smirk was settled on her face. 

"You get something good last night?" I asked. 

"Maybe." 

"Who was it?" I asked. 

"Let's walk and talk." 

----------

Trinity's POV

I woke up suddenly when the baby started crying. 

It seemed Katie did the same, because the weight on the right side of my body was lifted. 

"Maybe she needs a diaper change?" She yawned. 

"Maybe." 

I looked at the time as she took the baby from me. 

"Shit!" 

"What?" 

"We overslept recovery!" 

"By how long?" 

"We were supposed to leave an hour ago." 

"It's almost over by now. And I'm sure Dev's got you covered." 

I went to the kitchen and grabbed my phone, seeing a message from Dev and a bunch of messages from someone else. 

I cursed under my breath as I avoided those messages and read Dev's. 

"Yeah, she's got us." I said to Katie who was still in the living room. 

"Awesome." 

"Oh my god." 

"What?" 

"I just realized what today is." 

"What's toda-" She stopped mid-walking to the living room. "World Cup day." 

"Oh my god." I breathed, putting my phone down on the table. "My life will be either made or in shambles in about 2 hours." 

"And if you don't make it, I'm out. We can't be friends." Katie teased. 

"Then I'll be really in shambles." I laughed. 

She walked to the coffee pot where there was an already made pot that I assume Dev made. I followed her, not realizing how impulsive I was about to be. 

"You know...." She started.

I impulsively wrapped my arm around her and twirled her towards me, and she looked up and me, I looked down at her. 

She just looked confused, but our eyes held contact. She was chewing on her bottom lip, something she does when she's nervous. But suddenly we were breathing the same air. 

"Don't play games with me." She breathed. 

"I'm not playing games with you." 

"Then why everything you said to Dev earlier and this now?" 

"You heard that?" 

"Of course I did." 

"I just wanted to protect you." 

"Protect me how? I'm getting into this on my own terms It isn't anything you're doing. Except for this. This is your doing." 

"You really want this?" 

"More than anything." 

"Well I do too." 

We were silent for a few seconds, the tension rising to a point I didn't know existed. 

"Don't play games with me." She repeated. 

"No more games." 

"Promise?"

"I swear on my life." 

"I trust you." She said. 

"That's good. You should." 

She kissed me then, and this time, I wasn't shocked.