Chapter 53

Katie's POV

I showed up to Trin's place a few minutes later, chickening out the second she opened the door. 

"Hey, Katie. What's up?" She smiled, stepping aside so I could walk in. 

"Nothing much. Just wanted to come over and hang out." I said, walking in. "I miss you that's all." 

"Awe. That's sweet. But it's only been since yesterday. And don't you have a party to plan for?"

"I do."

"Then why don't you go do that?" 

"Alright, I got it. You're busy?" 

"Um, I have company coming over-" 

"That's okay. Who is it, one of the rookies?" 

"Nah." 

I was quiet, expecting her to say who it was, but she didn't. 

"Well do you mind if I look for something in your room real quick? I think I left a few things here." 

"I have no idea if it will still be here, it's been 5 months, Kates, but sure." 

"Thanks." 

I didn't actually care about what I was looking for, which was one of my old makeup palettes, but I needed an excuse to be here. I also wanted to pull myself together and just tell her. 

I went through a bag, and then I accidentally knocked another off the dresser, and things spilled everywhere. 

"Shit." I mumbled, carefully bending over to pick up the stuff. 

My eye caught a small ring box under the dresser, and I stopped what I was doing to grab it. 

Taped to it was a note, and under it was a picture. 

I opened the box first, the ring was beautiful. Absolutely stunning. Then I flipped over the picture, it was one of me and her on the Ocean City boardwalk on the Jersey Shore. We took a long drive there when we played Gotham this season. One of the girls suggested it and it was so fun. 

That picture made us look so so young, so happy, though it was only about a year ago. 

Now I'm all pregnant and almost 20. 

I wanted to cry, but I heard her coming down the hallway, so I shoved it all back under the dresser, disappointed I couldn't read the note. 

I got up and started out of the room, she stopped me in the doorway. 

"Find it?" She asked. 

"No, sadly. Must be somewhere in my stuff at my sister's. Maybe Ari stole it." I laughed. 

"Sorry about that." 

"It's whatever." I forced through her to get out the door. Then I took a deep breath. 

"You okay?" 

I stepped up closer to her. 

"Yeah, I'm...." 

I stepped closer. 

"I'm still in love with you." I finished. 

Then she reached for my ace and kissed me, but stepped away quicker than I'd have liked. 

"Damn it!" 

"What?" 

"I can't do this right now." 

"Okay. I get it. I waited too long, didn't I?" 

"Just...why now...suddenly." 

"I'm not sure." I lied. 

"Listen, I have a guy coming over, so..." 

"Alright." I said, trying to hide the fact that I'm absolutely crushed. 

"Katie, wait!" 

"What?" I tried not to get too excited. 

"I love you." 

"I love you too." I said, turning around to look at her. 

I didn't need to read that note to know the ring was for me. I had her whole heart, and I ruined everything.