Chapter 59

Katie's POV

On June 3rd, we beat Racing to have a record of 10-2. Obviously I couldn't play yet, but I've started working out and training. Abby's almost a month old, which is crazy. 

Tomorrow is when the girls figure out if they've made the World Cup roster, though it won't be released to the public for a few more weeks. 

Tonight Trinity had 2 goals and an assist to Ashley, who assisted one of her goals and the other was assisted by Hatchy. Aubrey kept a clean sheet, tallying 4 saves.

I was at the game on the bench, like all of our home games. I was getting excited to bring Abby to the next game, which was another home game, which was good for not having to travel, and so the baby can have her first game be a home game. 

Dev and I picked her up from my sister's place, Trinity went somewhere with her boyfriend again. She's barely been home except for a little while after practice. She's always with him, and I guess that's fine, but I can't help but feel a little pang of jealousy. 

Maybe more than a little. 

Abigail wouldn't shut up when we got home, and I was getting annoyed because she'd been so insanely fussy for the last 2 days, non-stop crying and needing to be held. Whenever I'd put her down, she'd start screaming all over again. 

I finally got her quiet for 10 minutes, so I put her in her crib and took 3 steps out my door to go hang out with Dev when she started crying again. 

"ABIGAIL TRINITY I SWEAR TO GOD." I yelled, slapping my forehead and trying not to cry. 

"Let me help you out." Said Dev, getting off the couch and walked past me into my room. 

I heard her shush the baby a little bit, and she stopped crying. She put her down a few seconds later, and no cries at all. 

"What are you, the baby whisperer?" I asked her. 

"I've got a way with kids." 

"Clearly. Show me." 

"It's not something that can be learned, babe." 

"That's back now?" 

"Yep. I missed it." She smiled, and plopped down next to me. 

"I miss playing soccer." I sighed, putting my had on her shoulder. 

"I'm sure." 

"Except I love that baby so much. Maybe not at this exact moment, but I really really do. I'm just scared." 

"What are you scared of?" 

"I'm afraid I'm gonna mess her up. She doesn't deserve that." 

"Why do you say that?" 

"I had shitty parents, so how am I supposed to take care of a kid? And especially because I've got no one to help me. And not to mention the fact that I'm completely and totally a mess." 

"Katie, you're gonna be a great mom. You already are. We said it when you would take care of Ari. I know you're going to be the greatest mom going forward. You've got all of us to help you too. We get it that it won't be easy." Dev said, putting her arm around me. "We love you, and we love Abigail. We wouldn't let anything to wrong with you two." 

"Thanks Dev." I smiled, giving her a squeeze. 

"And also, what about your life is a mess?" 

"A lot, really. I have to get back into playing soccer, I've got a kid with a guy who is a baseball player and is always travelling and on top of that we aren't even together, and, oh yeah! I'm completely and totally in love with my best friend!"