Chapter 149

We quietly walked out of the building and into the sunlight. "The sun feels so warm, Mama!" I said. She looked down at me and smiled. "It does, doesn't it?" She replied. I looked up and smiled. But then I remembered Papa always said to never look at the sun because it was bad for my eyes, so I immediately looked down.

    "Mama?" I asked after a while of just walking and silence. "Yes, my love?" She asked. "How long away is your friend?" I asked. "Not too far away... About 15 to 20 minutes." She said. "Why, you getting tired?" She asked with a small smile. I shook my head. "Nope!" I said cheerfully. We passed by an alley and I saw something move.

    "Mama, stop!" I said, and then looked at the alley again. "What is it?" She asked, and I heard a drop of annoyance in her voice. I didn't respond and walked closer to the alley. "Hello?" I asked. Then, from behind a box, something moved. I walked a bit closer, feeling really curious. Then a cat walked out from behind the box.

    "AWW!" I squealed as I looked at the cat. The kitty had brown, light brown, and black fur swirled together with a white belly and hazel eyes. "Mama, look!" I said excitedly. The kitty meowed quietly. "Don't be scared, I'm not going to hurt you," I said with a smile as I bent down to the kitty's level. The kitty meowed again as they looked at me.

    "You seem nice..." The kitty said to me. I rolled my eyes jokingly. "Of course I'm nice! I'm the nicest person in the world!" I said. The kitty looked at me like they were analyzing me. Then, they walked closer and rubbed their head against my leg. I smiled.

    "Georgiana. Stop looking at the alley and get over here. Right now." Mama said coldly. I froze. "I said NOW!" She yelled angrily. I scooped the kitty into my arms and walked over to Mama. "I'm sorry Mama..." I said, tears pricking my eyes. "You better be, you- wait what are you holding?" She said.

    "A kitty!" I said as I held them up to Mama. "Huh... She's a girl by the way." Mama said as she looked at the cat. "She is?" I asked as I looked at the kitty. "I am actually a girl." The kitty said. "Oh okay!" I said happily. "Can I hold her while we're walking? Please?" I said. Mama rolled her eyes but nodded. "Fine." She muttered. "Yay!" I said happily. We continued walking, and I continued talking to the cat.

    "What's your name?" I asked the kitty. "I... I don't have one." The kitty said sadly. "Oh no, please don't be sad-!" I said. "Look, I'll give you a name! How about... KitKat? You remind me of a KitKat-" I said. "I... I like it!" The kitty said happily. "Yay!" I replied. Mama looked down at me and groaned, her voice dripping with annoyance.

"Georgiana, will you stop meowing? It's making my head hurt."